-- Posts Summary: Airlines and Airports operating and not operating --

InterCaribbean Airways soaring, needs more pilots

News about this airline - please include a link to the source as well as the article text itself.
Web site: http://www.intercaribbean.com/
bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Unread post by bimjim » Tue Mar 12, 2019

www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/_144439

Monday, September 17, 2018

Providenciales, Turks & Caicos Islands

InterCaribbean Airways has announced the introduction of air service to Salt Cay from Grand Turk, as well as new services connecting Grand Turk with South Caicos, starting this month.

The company said in a press statement that it now offers non-stop service to three Turks & Caicos Islands from Grand Turk, the TCI capital.

“These new services recognise the commitment of the Turks & Caicos Government in providing a guarantee for essential air services giving the residents of Salt Cay access to the wider Caribbean via Providenciales, and to visitors from around the world who seek out the quiet and peaceful setting that a visitor to Salt Cay and South Caicos craves.

“We also laud the TCI Government for its commitment to provide this essential air service that connects these Islands with the rest of the world, via InterCaribbean services to Providenciales, the Caribbean, and onward connections,” said Trevor Sadler, the airline's CEO.

Sadler also noted that with the continued growth of interCaribbean Airways “as the leading airline of the Caribbean”, the need for more pilots is now evident.

InterCaribbean connects the Turks & Caicos, Antigua, the British Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, Jamaica, The Bahamas, the US Virgin Islands, Dominica, St Lucia and Sint Maarten.

Domestic flights are also offered in Jamaica between Kingston and Montego Bay, as well as flights within the Turks & Caicos Islands.

Sadler also noted that with the continued growth of interCaribbean Airways “as the leading airline of the Caribbean”, the need for more pilots is now evident.

InterCaribbean connects the Turks & Caicos, Antigua, the British Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, Jamaica, The Bahamas, the US Virgin Islands, Dominica, St Lucia and Sint Maarten.

Domestic flights are also offered in Jamaica between Kingston and Montego Bay, as well as flights within the Turks & Caicos Islands.

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Re: InterCaribbean Airways soaring, needs more pilots

Unread post by bimjim » Tue Mar 12, 2019

Short warning for any yoots eager to go and work for Mr. Gardiner.

in 2001 I was invited to come and work for him as a Twin Otter Captain, had to pay my own way there, on arrival was given temporary accommodation and driven - at their convenience - to and from the accommodations.

WITHOUT a local licence (I had a Canadian ATPL) I flew for him with the Chief Pilot as my FO for a week, at which time I did a personal accounting and discovered I was US$6,000 in the hole with no prospects of being paid.

At this point Immigration was also harassing me on return from flights about a work permit, and I discovered that Mr. Gardiner had not even applied for one for me. This suggested that he had no intention of hiring me or paying me, so I told him I could not afford to work for him and he simply said "Bye bye". I was on the American Airlines flight the next morning heading home.

I wrote a piece on the internet describing my experience, and started getting threatening emails from his white Canadian girlfriend, which I ignored.

So if you go to work for Mr. Gardiner and his castles in the sky - most of his routes are purely temporary, he has zero rights to them - be aware that your tenure may be very short... and possibly unpaid. He also almost lost his airline in the last two corrupt games he played with InselAir and in the Dominican Republic, and you could find yourself stranded in a strange land with nobody willing to help you.

Long term, a professional career is at least partly about dignity. Choose your career carefully, and remember that in today's pilot shortage you don't need to stick your head in Mr. Gardiner's guillotine just to get started.

Return to “InterCaribbean Airways - Turks & Caicos”