-- Posts Summary: Airlines and Airports operating and not operating --

Caribbean Airlines facing US$1m bill for aircraft damage

News about this airline - please include a link to the source as well as the article text itself.
Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribbean_Airlines
Web site: http://www.caribbean-airlines.com/
bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Caribbean Airlines facing US$1m bill for aircraft damage

Unread post by bimjim » Fri Mar 08, 2019

https://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/lo ... 35cb3.html

CAL facing US$1m bill for aircraft damage
Kim Boodram
Mar 7, 2019

Caribbean Airlines may be facing a US$1 million bill following damage on Wednesday night to an ATR aircraft as it was being taxied to a Piarco International Airport hangar for maintenance.

Finance Minister Colm Imbert ventured the estimate but asked that his word not be taken on it, as reports coming out of the accident were very early.

Imbert said a preliminary report coming to him was that the aircraft was being taxied to a hangar for maintenance around 11.15 p.m., when it “came into contact with the wall of a terminal and sustained some damage”.

Imbert agreed that damage to the plane looked bad, as the nose, which took most of the hit against a terminal wall, was not a structural part of the craft and was quite soft.

The minister said CAL is insured and will be looking to its insurers but again, estimates as to the damage, which includes the frame and skin, are very preliminary.

In a statement yesterday, CAL said the “ATR-72 aircraft, 9Y-TTA, was being taxied from the ramp at Piarco International Airport to an aircraft hangar when it came into contact with the wall of the airport terminal building. The aircraft was not in active service and there were no passengers or crew on board,” the local carrier said.

“The extent of damage to the aircraft is being assessed, and it has been withdrawn from service. There were no injuries to any personnel. An investigation has been initiated by the relevant authorities,” CAL added.

CAL went on to assure all stakeholders that the airline’s services on the air bridge continue to operate according to its regular core schedule.

Imbert said the aircraft is expected to remain out of service for three months.

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Re: Caribbean Airlines facing US$1m bill for aircraft damage

Unread post by bimjim » Fri Mar 08, 2019

https://newsday.co.tt/2019/03/08/imbert ... ee-months/

[Caribbean Airlines] Imbert: Plane down for three months
Julien Neaves
2019/03/08

Acting Prime Minister Colm Imbert says the plane involved in an accident at the Piarco International Airport on Wednesday night will be down for three months but fortunately, Caribbean Airlines (CAL) had been engaged in wet leasing another plane.

He was speaking yesterday at the post-Cabinet media briefing at the Diplomatic Centre, St Ann’s. He said he received a preliminary report on the incident. He added the cause of the accident was not yet known and there could have be many reasons. “So that it would premature at this point in time to venture speculation as to what caused the accident. He said the aircraft suffered damage to its nose and other parts.

He reported at the time the aircraft was not in service, was being taken in for maintenance and there were no passengers on board. He said the Civil Aviation Authority and Caribbean Airlines are in the midst of an in-depth investigation to determine what happened. Imbert said it was expected the aircraft would be out of service for three months and the damage was estimated to be US $1 million but these were very preliminary estimates.

He said, fortunately, the Tobago House of Assembly (THA) had asked the Finance Ministry to consider financing the wet lease of an additional ATR aircraft for the Easter season and summer vacation. He reported CAL had reached quite far with this exercise and were engaged in discussions with LIAT which has a similar ATR aircraft.

“So I have asked them to accelerate and finalise that arrangement whether it is with LIAT or another provider. The airbridge will have its full complement of aircraft in the shortest possible time and so the aircraft will be available for regional service which are done by the ATRs.

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Unread post by bimjim » Sat Mar 09, 2019

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/us1m-to- ... 4f8242f1a2

US$1m to fix crashed CAL aircraft - Imbert
Rhondor Dowlat
Thu Mar 07 2019

The dam­age to one of Caribean Air­lines’ (CAL) ATR air­craft will cost the State US$1 mil­lion to re­pair, a cost which the act­ing Prime Min­is­ter Colm Im­bert has de­scribed as a “pre­lim­i­nary es­ti­mate.”

Im­bert gave the fig­ure at yes­ter­day’s post-Cab­i­net me­dia brief­ing at the Diplo­mat­ic Cen­tre in St Ann’s, as he ad­dressed is­sues sur­round­ing the ac­ci­dent which dam­aged the air­craft’s nose. He said while the cause of the ac­ci­dent is yet un­known.

“I have re­ceived a pre­lim­i­nary re­port… it would be pre­ma­ture at this point in time to ven­ture spec­u­la­tion as to what caused the ac­ci­dent there could be many rea­sons,” he said.

Im­bert said the col­li­sion in­to the wall of the ter­mi­nal build­ing at the Pi­ar­co In­ter­na­tion­al Air­port caused dam­age to the air­craft’s nose and oth­er parts of the en­gine.

Im­bert said the air­craft, which was ser­vic­ing the lo­cal air­bridge, was be­ing tak­en to the hang­er for main­te­nance when the ac­ci­dent oc­curred, adding will be out of ser­vice for the next three months. He added that the Civ­il Avi­a­tion Au­thor­i­ty and CAL are in the midst of a “very in-depth in­ves­ti­ga­tion to de­ter­mine ex­act­ly what tran­spired and of course al­so to as­sess the dam­age to the air­craft.”

Asked what dam­age the build­ing sus­tained, Im­bert said he was not told but sus­pect­ed that it would have been min­i­mal as he ex­plained the area at the front of the air­craft was “soft.”

How­ev­er, Im­bert point­ed out that be­fore this lat­est in­ci­dent To­ba­go House of As­sem­bly (THA) of­fi­cials had vis­it­ed him and asked the Min­istry of Fi­nance to con­sid­er fi­nanc­ing to lease an ad­di­tion­al ATR air­craft for the East­er sea­son and Ju­ly/Au­gust va­ca­tion.

“CAL had al­ready reached quite far in this ex­er­cise…they are en­gaged in dis­cus­sions with LI­AT who has a sim­i­lar air­craft that is avail­able to what CAL op­er­ates… sim­i­lar ATR air­craft. I have asked them to ac­cel­er­ate and fi­nalise that arrange­ment, whether it is LI­AT or an­oth­er provider, so that the air­bridge would have its full com­ple­ment of air­craft in the short­est pos­si­ble time and al­so the air­craft would be avail­able for re­gion­al ser­vices,” Im­bert said.

“This does not ad­dress the is­sue that the THA raised with me, this is just a sub­sti­tu­tion, so I have asked Caribbean Air­lines to see whether we have to look at an­oth­er air­craft for peak pe­ri­ods but the in­for­ma­tion would come in short or­der. THA had asked for a wet lease of an­oth­er air­craft for East­er, which we ex­pect to bring on board be­fore the end of this month.”

Ac­cord­ing to the head of CAL’s cor­po­rate com­mu­ni­ca­tions Dionne Ligoure, via a re­lease, the in­ci­dent oc­curred at about 11.15 pm on Wednes­day and in­volved one of its ATR-72 air­craft, 9Y TTA. Ligoure said the air­craft was be­ing tax­ied from the ramp to an air­craft hangar when it came in­to con­tact with the ter­mi­nal build­ing’s wall. The air­craft was not in ac­tive ser­vice and there were no pas­sen­gers or crew on board.

“The ex­tent of dam­age to the air­craft is be­ing as­sessed and it has been with­drawn from ser­vice. There were no in­juries to any per­son­nel,” the re­lease said.

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/planes-b ... 12bf8aa127

[Caribbean Airtlines] Plane’s brake system was not functional
Gail Alexander
Fri Mar 08 2019

A pre­lim­i­nary re­port has shown that the brak­ing sys­tem on CAL’s ATR air­craft was not func­tion­al at the time the air­craft col­lid­ed with a wall at Pi­ar­co Air­port on Wednes­day, Fi­nance Min­is­ter Colm Im­bert said on Friday.

And he was al­so un­able to say if the per­son steer­ing the air­craft from the air­port ramp to a hangar when the in­ci­dent oc­curred at 11.15 pm, was cer­ti­fied to do so.

Im­bert gave the ex­pla­na­tions in Par­lia­ment yes­ter­day, re­spond­ing to Op­po­si­tion queries on the ac­ci­dent. He stressed it was not a “crash” as the Op­po­si­tion called it.

CAL has said the air­craft was be­ing tax­ied from the ramp to an air­craft hangar when the in­ci­dent hap­pened. The air­craft was not in actve ser­vice and there were no pas­sen­gers or crew aboard. It was with­drawn from ser­vice and a probe start­ed.

Yes­ter­day Im­bert said, “Pre­lim­i­nary re­ports in­di­cate the brak­ing sys­tem wasn’t func­tion­al at the time. How­ev­er, these are just pre­lim­i­nary re­ports and it would be ir­re­spon­si­ble to spec­u­late on the ac­tu­al cause of the ac­ci­dent un­til all in­ves­ti­ga­tions are com­plete. I’m sure (in­ves­ti­ga­tions) will be done in the short­est pos­si­ble time.”

UNC MP Fazal Karim asked if it was nor­mal for an en­gi­neer to taxi an air­craft at that hour of the night —11.15 pm.

Im­bert replied, “I can­not an­swer that in any pre­cise de­tail, how­ev­er, I can say the par­tic­u­lar in­di­vid­ual who was taxi­ing the air­craft was trained to do so by ATR at its head­quar­ters in France. This is the in­for­ma­tion giv­en to me by CAL. As to whether that par­tic­u­lar in­di­vid­ual was cer­ti­fied to taxi at that par­tic­u­lar time 0f night, I can­not say, but I’ll cer­tain­ly find out.”

He said CAL is do­ing its own in­ves­ti­ga­tion and the Civ­il Avi­a­tion Au­thor­i­ty is do­ing an in­de­pen­dent probe al­so to de­ter­mine the root cause of the ac­ci­dent.

Im­bert added, “I’d think CAL would most cer­tain­ly con­sult the air­craft’s man­u­fac­tur­ers to get their view on what caused the ac­ci­dent and what should be done to re­turn it to ser­vice­able state.”

He said all CAL air­craft were ful­ly in­sured and the ma­jor­i­ty of the cost of re­pairs—to re­turn it to ser­vice­able state—will be cov­ered by this, save for de­ductible on typ­i­cal in­sur­ance pol­i­cy of this kind.

On Thurs­day, Im­bert said a pre­lim­i­nary es­ti­mate of re­pair cost was about US$1m.

On Fri­day, CAL stat­ed the cost is be­ing as­sessed and this will be cov­ered by CAL’s in­sur­ance.

CAL, in a re­lease, stat­ed the air­craft had been us­ing its own pow­er and was be­ing op­er­at­ed by a li­censed air­craft en­gi­neer. CAL added that a pre­lim­i­nary re­port in­di­cat­ed that as soon as the air­craft be­gan to taxi, the air­craft en­gi­neer no­ticed that the hy­draulic sys­tem was not ac­ti­vat­ed.

“The re­sult was that the nose wheel steer­ing and brak­ing sys­tem wasn’t avail­able. Con­se­quent­ly the front sec­tion of the air­craft’s fuse­lage came in­to con­tact with the wall of the ter­mi­nal build­ing,” the state­ment said.

CAL said pri­or to the in­ci­dent, it was in dis­cus­sions with a po­ten­tial lessor to ob­tain a wet lease to sup­ple­ment its fleet us­ing a sim­i­lar air­craft type. Once arrange­ment is com­plete, the wet lease will op­er­ate from April 8 to Sep­tem­ber 30, which will cov­er the busy East­er and Au­gust va­ca­tion pe­ri­od.

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

https://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/lo ... b4e9f.html

'The plane had no steering or brakes available' says Caribbean Airlines
9 March, 2019

Caribbean Airlines is providing more details about its aircraft that struck the terminal building on Wednesday.

At approximately 11:15 p.m. the ATR aircraft 9Y TTA was at the Piarco International Airport and was being taxied from the ramp to an aircraft hangar. It was using its own power and was being operated by a licensed aircraft engineer.

Preliminary reports indicate that soon after the aircraft began to taxi, the aircraft engineer noticed that the hydraulic system was not activated. The result was that the nose wheel steering and braking system was not available. Consequently, the front section of the aircraft’s fuselage came into contact with the wall of the terminal building. The aircraft was not in active service and there were no passengers or crew on board.

An investigation was immediately initiated by Caribbean Airlines and the Trinidad and Tobago Civil Aviation Authority to determine the root cause and to avoid recurrence. The aircraft has since been withdrawn from service.

The cost to repair the aircraft is being assessed and these costs will be covered by Caribbean Airlines’ insurance.

Prior to this occurrence, Caribbean Airlines was engaged in discussions with a potential lessor to obtain a wet lease to supplement its fleet using a similar aircraft type. Once this arrangement is finalised, the wet lease will operate from April 08 to September 30, 2019.

Caribbean Airlines says it is committed to upholding the integrity of its domestic, regional and international operations. The airline will continue to use the remaining ATR and Boeing 737-800 aircraft to operate its core schedule on the domestic air bridge, to augment service and to provide additional ad-hoc service as needed.

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Noh-buddy doh seh nuttn bout beta and get de mistah in real-derriere trouble now...

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Unread post by bimjim » Mon Mar 11, 2019

http://rjrnewsonline.com/business/damag ... -insurance

Damage to CAL aircraft to be covered by insurance
Mon March 11, 2019

Caribbean Airlines (CAL) says the cost of repairing its aircraft which was damaged last week at Piarco International Airport in Trinidad will be covered by insurance.

The cost is still being assessed.

The plane was being operated by a licensed aircraft engineer.

Preliminary reports indicate that soon after the aircraft began to taxi about 11:15 pm, the engineer noticed that the hydraulic system was not activated.

The front section of the aircraft's fuselage hit the wall of the terminal building.

The aircraft was not in active service and there were no passengers or crew on board.

An investigation was immediately initiated by Caribbean Airlines and the Trinidad and Tobago Civil Aviation Authority to determine the root cause and to avoid recurrence.

The aircraft has since been withdrawn from service.

Return to “Caribbean Airlines - Trinidad & Tobago”