Air Montserrat

News about this airline - please include a link to the source as well as the article text itself.
Montserratian

Air Montserrat

Unread post by Montserratian » Fri Oct 20, 2006

Montserrat welcomes new air service.

http://www.caribbeannetnews.com/cgi-scr ... 003821.htm

www.airmontserrat.com

nice music on there aswell :D

EyeSpy

Cannit work?

Unread post by EyeSpy » Sun Oct 22, 2006

When I first saw this, I wondered about the economic viability of an airline
based out of a TINY, crippled island with a minscule population
and little visitor interest,given the periodic ongoing volcanic activity,there.

Someone has some money to throw away?
- or must have an airlink, even if it makes a loss?

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Unread post by bimjim » Sun Oct 22, 2006

Good luck to the new MNI outfit............you are going to run nine pax out of there..??....take a very good look at that....550 asl ..nine plus the pilot ,bags , fuel...( max weight.??)....if one one engine coughs right after t'off youare in the hill in front of you, if the DCA has anything to say you will be wheight restricted. But the pressure to make money is so strong that safety and everything else takes a back seat..Here's hoping you do the right thing.
Everyone is watching...
Whaaaat?

550 ft AMSL is vitually the same as MSL... and is the best place for performance - it degrades as you climb higher and the air gets thinner. What kind of strange takeoff altitude are you talking about?

What weight? At MTOW, even at the higher 6,600 pounds, the Islander is designed to continue to fly on one engine - or it would not still be around. Yes, it has its faults, but after more than 6,000 logged hours (and more than 15,000 takeoffs) in an Islander myself - all points between Trinidad and Puerto Rico, and occasional points all the way to Cincinnnati - I have the faith to still get in one and fly it "for hire and reward" without a single reservation.

And a hill in front of you after takeoff? Out of Montserrat? Do you mean Boggy Peak in Antigua? Are we talking about the same place?
De Admin

LimaFoxTango
Unranked
Unranked

Unread post by LimaFoxTango » Sun Oct 22, 2006

And a hill in front of you after takeoff? Out of Montserrat? Do you mean Boggy Peak in Antigua? Are we talking about the same place?
Guess you havent been to the new airport.

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Unread post by bimjim » Sun Oct 22, 2006

No, I have not been there since around 1995, but from what I see you can't call this a hill... and there is ample opportunity to avoid whatever is ahead if necessary - and, as you say, an extra 500 feet in altitude veering to the right.

http://www.mvo.ms/images/200505%20-%200 ... ds%202.jpg

http://www.mvo.ms/images/2005%20Jan%20t ... ds%202.jpg
De Admin

Montserratian

Unread post by Montserratian » Mon Oct 23, 2006

Instead of all the pecimism, why not congratulate us on having our own airline once again. (remember Montserrat Airways?) Anyway, if it were not for the Volcano, Montserrat would be way up there with the rest of the Caribbean islands. We are quite capably of running an economically viable island, with our own economically viable airline.

For years the volcano stood in our way, but we are now proving to everyone that we can most certainly bounce back from the ashes, things are improving for the island, and will continue that way if/once the volcano stabalizes.

BTW i do not own Air Montserrat :D nor work for them, but proud that our island is finally getting back to normal, the airline is a testimony to this. I am filled with optimism that this will work.

p.s even though slowly, our population is increasing, and visitor interstest is bound to increase.

Progression was halted by something completely out of our control, but we are a determined island, and we are determined to pull through.

Return to “Air Montserrat”