One Caribbean Airlines Saab 340B tail strike in St. Vincent

News about this airline - please include a link to the source as well as the article text itself.
Web site: http://www.flyonecaribbean.com/
bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

One Caribbean Airlines Saab 340B tail strike in St. Vincent

Unread post by bimjim » Tue Dec 24, 2019

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/one-cari ... dos-tomas/

One Caribbean Airlines Saab 340B tail strike and the Barbados (8P) flag of convenience - is safety being compromised in the Eastern Caribbean?
Tomas Chlumecky ("Aviation Doctor")
International Aviation Executive, Entrepreneur and Advisor
December 24, 2019

Here is the latest incident at One Caribbean (1 x 1900D, 1 x Saab 340B), it's Saab 340B (8P-OCL), with up to 3 x Saab 340B's to come? to take on LIAT? based in Barbados, with 5th freedoms out of St. Vincent, and rumoured to be partly owned by P.M. Gonsalves of St. Vincent & the Grenadines, no one concerned about its B747-400, Saab 340B operation into BQU's 3,609 feet long runway? it's incident this weekend? lots of safety issues are surely RED FLAGS!

It happened on Sunday I believe on landing, aircraft had a full load of passengers apparently the passengers thought they were going to crash.

8P-OCL-1.jpg

They asked for taxi instructions right after that landing to fly on to Tortola, wisely the tower at Argyle (St. Vincent) denied it, their engineer then inspected it and released it and it was flying again that day.

This is a problem when you have an airline with using a registry of Barbados which is a Category 2 state, with no CAA just a Department of Aviation with a few people.

In July registered a B747-400 of One Caribbean in Barbados (8P-ERI) where they have one inspector and ECCAA (Eastern Caribbean CAA) was not ready to certify a B747-400, Barbados was!

8P-ERI.jpg

Now One Caribbean flies a Saab 340B into Bequia (BQU) and its very short 3,609-foot runway with full passengers at ISA+15C? no overrun, just a drop of a cliff into very deep waters (+6,000 feet) a LIAT DHC-6 and SVG Air CE402C were never found in those waters!

bequai.jpg

I do not think it can do so legally under ECCAA rules with their 0.7 factor, but Barbados allows it?

Is Barbados now a "flag of convenience" for shady operations seeking minimal oversight? versus using the more stringent ECAA? dangerous precedent no? ECCAA has been hindrance to aviation for years, but safety has been #1.

--

Message of concern sent to the Chairman of ECCAA and to Minister if International Business, responsible for Civil Aviation, Kerry Symmonds of Barbados...

Captain J. Lynch

Gentlemen...

One of you is Chairman of the ECCAA, the other is Minister in charge of the Barbados Civil Aviation Department. I have no other way of passing this on, but it is worrisome to say the least and - to me - indicative of the Wild West environment prevalent in eastern Caribbean aviation today.

Does it really take a load of passengers and 2 pilots losing their lives before safety and enforcement action is taken?? What might have been the consequences if a LIAT crew had done this?

For Barbados Minister Synmmonds, here is a glaring example of why
1. the Barbados CAD Inspectors should be located in or around the ramp at GAIA, and...
2. why we say the Barbados CAD is incapable of overseeing the fleet on its register - EVEN IN BARBADOS.

Hopefully the SVD Tower reported the incident to the ECCAA, but given the rumour that PM Gonsalves is majority owner of One Caribbean that may well be unlikely.

On Sunday, I believe during landing, this One Caribbean aircraft had a full load of passengers on landing. The photographs tell the tale of a solid - and extended - tail strike (or drag).

The pilots asked for taxi to Tortola soon after, which the tower (correctly) denied. An engineer then inspected the aircraft, released
it, and it was flying again that same day.

Over to you, for you action - or inaction, as the case may be.

Best wishes,

James C. Lynch
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

islandflyer
Engineer 4
Engineer 4

Re: One Caribbean Airlines Saab 340B tail strike in St. Vincent

Unread post by islandflyer » Sun Dec 29, 2019

:19:
Tomas,
Believe me, I’m certainly not trying to shoot the messenger. Our industry cannot and must not be lax on safety, since lives depend on us doing what is right. And so if we must sound the warnings then so be it. OCL and the BCAD must reassure the public that our safety is paramount and will under no circumstances be compromised. Every Barbadian registered carrier MUST be subject to the same standards and scrutiny - whether flying a 30 seat Saab or an 8 seat King Air - and any report should be actively investigated to correct mistakes.

But I struggled with how this particular report, and specifically the first paragraph, was presented and wondered, what else is going on here? Why did this come across like a very personal attack piece?

Just asking.

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Unread post by bimjim » Sun Dec 29, 2019

Looking at it objectively, the principals of One Caribbean first stole the name itself from me. So we start with a total lack of imagination, ethics and morals.

Then they turned up with a Boeing 747, to be based in St. Vincent (where Argyle's entire total fuel storage capacity is not enough to fully fuel that type of aircraft, the airport has ZERO capacity to push, tow or tug that aircraft ANY distance, and the ECCAA is unprepared for such a large aircraft on their registry), then they moved to register the same aircraft in Barbados (which MIGHT have ONE Inspector and has even LESS capacity to oversee the type than the ECCAA. The 747 has come and gone, nobody knows where or why.

There was talk about preparing the aircraft for the Hajj, so that may be an airplane we may never see again in the Caribbean - and another case FOR Barbados becoming yet another flag of convenience.

Then we heard reports of Barbados-registered Saab 340B and Beech 1900 aircraft landing and taking off at Bequai, whose runway length is 3,609 feet. When the barest of research was done, the aircraft graphs for the Saab indicated that - under ideal conditions - it required much more than the current runway available, and in fact when the accelerate-stop distance - WITHOUT the 70% factor imposed by the ECCAA - and ISA+15 was calculated, it needed in the region of 6,400 feet of TORA - take off runway available. Now an after-the-calculation rough interpolation of the ECCAA 70% factor suggests that the Saab LEGALLY requires more than 9,000 feet of available runway - almost three times the TORA take off runway actually physically available.

One Caribbean continues to operate freely unhindered and illegally under these highly questionable circumstances, and suggests that there is no oversight at all by the authorities - either the Barbados CAD or ECCAA - nor is there much in the way of concerns by either their management or pilots about standards or safety.

I have a copy of a letter to One Caribbean where a trainer complains about being hired to train Flight Attendants and - from the start - being forced to do things the WRONG way and counter to the guidelines of the BCAD, even as far as his prepared examination questions for the trainees being taken away from him, those exams being secretly administered by the Chief Pilot in his absence, and those who failed were allowed to correct their failed papers after consulting the study material. They also screwed him over with the pre-agreed pay - all this appears to be the standard operating procedure of that management team.

One Caribbean also continues to operate as far as possible away from the vision and oversight of the Barbados CAD - who are INCAPABLE of following the aircraft around the Caribbean to observe what the heck they will do next. Executive Air now does the same, now operating a KingAir out of Antigua and other northern tier islands serving a new hotel in Dominica. Which means they never have to stop in Barbados, so given the lack of oversight - even the lack of interest - by the BCAD, Executive Air (operating in the north as Tropical Aviation) will continue to do as they please without any regulatory supervision whatsoever.

FYI, in the absence of any email addresses for the BCAD (the one address I could find bounced, the mail server reporting it did not exist), the Minister of International Transport, Kerry Symmonds, has been advised, in detail, of One Caribbean's behaviour and recent tail dragging. Whether he has done or will ever do anything about One Caribbean I cannot say, because he has never responded to me - unlike my contacts at ECCAA, who are happy to hear about ECCAA's shortcomings so that they can improve the quality and impartiality of services offered by that organisation.

So Tomas has a case when he talks about Barbados becoming a "flag of convenience". There are now TWO airlines registered in Barbados who appear not to ever touch that soil, and both have questionable activities in their past.

Having read this, would YOU travel on One Caribbean or Executive Air or Tropical Aviation?

And on the BCAD side, Queen Mia has been at the helm of a blanket Parliament now for almost two years, and all she has done is to move the BCAD employees - who SHOULD be working next to the ramp - away to a building built by the DLP at enormous cost a mile away at Charnocks. Other than that, the BLP have done nothing - nada, zilch, zero, bumba-clat-man, nuttn - towards legislation for a CAA, or preparation for the Category 1 they keep whining about, or towards anything else in aviation in Barbados.

Perhaps it is their unwillingness to let go of control of any part of authority in Barbados, because just one of the things the FAA evaluators look for in a CAA they are evaluating for the IASA/ICAO Category is an utter and complete disconnect from political influence and control. Such a disconnect may not even be possible in Barbados, and certainly they have scared off any competent and qualified people who might previously have considered applying for the role of Inspector.

On top of which, the position of Director has, for at least three decades, been filled from the ATC staff as political appointments. The CAD/Barbados government has not advertised the position in that long. And if you enquire, the Public Service Commission will tell you that the Government has to advertise such a position before they can accept an application.

Myself, Tomas and a few others keep tabs on such misbehaviour and lack of interest by people and organisations in the EC, and we are far enough from all the BS that we can know about the nonsense certain people do while they believe they are in the shadows, and to Speak Truth To Power.

Of course, in OUR world, Power is just as lazy, corrupt and disgusting as the people we are unmasking, so not much (if anything at all) gets done.

But they WILL HAVE been warned, and when a load of innocent air passengers are killed by the abuses, stupidity and neglect of pilots, mechanics, engineers and/or management, we will ALL be here to make sure Barbados is in the regional and international newspapers - and social media - and they are all are made aware of the history, dates and details, and let the voters - and the courts - take their courses.

islandflyer
Engineer 4
Engineer 4

Unread post by islandflyer » Sun Dec 29, 2019

Fair enough. Some of your details are incorrect and you will be contacted in due course, but... carry on smartly!

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Unread post by bimjim » Sun Dec 29, 2019

As my wife frequently tells me, I am very trying...

islandflyer
Engineer 4
Engineer 4

Unread post by islandflyer » Mon Dec 30, 2019

We never know how trying we are until our wives tell us

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Unread post by bimjim » Mon Dec 30, 2019

This Saab 340B arrived in the middle of last week... clearly shown is the Barbados registration 8P-ONE.

Saab340B-8P-ONE_o.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “One Caribbean - St. Vincent”