Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

South Caicos pilots soaring to great heights

Unread post by bimjim » Tue Aug 21, 2018

http://suntci.com/south-caicos-pilots-s ... 54-129.htm

South Caicos pilots soaring to great heights
Todeline Defralien, SUNtv News Reporter
Tue, Aug 21, 2018

Four young Turks and Caicos Islands pilots are setting the bar high and literally reached for the sky in their accomplishments. Hailing from South Caicos, Capt Kirk Adams, Capt Alano Forbes, Capt. Keish Thomas, and Capt. Kenado Thomas are all pilots at InterCaribbean Airways. The pilots who grew up as friends, gave The SUN an insight as to where they’ve came from and why they decided to become pilots.

Expressing how he reached for the sky Alano Forbes told The SUN, “My journey started when I was back in South Caicos around eleven (11) years old going to the airport and siting down watching planes take off and land and on one particular day it just clicked and that was when I really knew what I wanted to do in life and from there and then it never left.”

Sadly for Forbes, tragedy struck on 26th December 2005 when his older brother died in a plane crash. “I wanted to give up and I knew that my parents didn’t want heartbreak; but eventually I had to make a decision and face my father. He repeatedly told me: “I don’t want to hear that,” but I realised that I had to do this for me. Everything in life has a risk, but if your heart is in the right place, it will always be worth it. So I went off to flight school in January 2012 and spent two years away training. My father eventually came around and offered to support me in my decisions.”

Forbes stated that the advice he would like to give to other young men aspiring to become pilots is to always believe in themselves, always set their mind on a goal and just work towards it.

Keish Thomas, 31, said he too decided to become a pilot at a young age just by visiting the airport with his mother who was a firefighter. He said, “I choose to be a pilot at a very young age. My mother was a fire fighter and I use to be around the airport a lot with her and from then, I fell in love with planes at that time and it became my passion and the career that I wanted to pursue. After my mom noticed that I was interested in aviation, she started to buy me aviation books and then my very first game that I had which was ‘Super Nintendo’ was Pilot Wings and from there on I had every flight simulator and that kind of really inspired me to become a pilot.”

Thomas expressed his heartfelt thanks to everyone that stood by his side and helped him to become a pilot.

The other pilot, Kenado Thomas, who is 30 years old noted that being a pilot is a very rewarding career and he encourages young men to pursue it. “Aviation has been a great thing for the most part. I would say that it has its ups and downs just like every other career, but for the most part it is a very rewarding career. I wanted to become a pilot at a very young age and a lot of my family members are pilots and I would like to encourage young men to get into this career as well,” he said.

He continued: “First of all it has to be something that they really want to do from the heart. It can’t be something that you just want to pick up, because in learning to fly you defy gravity as a whole new kind of way of thinking and I would tell young men to put their heart into it and once their heart is into it everything else will fall in place, just like it did for me.”

Deputy Chief Pilot Capt. Kirk Adams also expressed his love for his home town and growing up with these three young men. “I’ve known these guys my whole life. I can clearly remember the time in third grade when I skipped into the class with Keish and Kenado, who I then completed my entire first and secondary schooling with.” Adams said that growing up in South Caicos as a small community there was not much to do, but everything to offer a young, ambitious mind. It was full of support, love and respect- the perfect ingredients for success.

“As far as I could remember, I’ve always wanted to be a pilot; and growing up alongside Keish and Kenado, who shared the same ambition, pushed me even harder to achieve this. Captain Keish left and went to flight school before Kenado and I in 2004, then Kenado and I left for Flight Safety Academy, where we learned side by side in late 2005. After returning home we all began working for the same company, then I learned of Alano’s interest in aviation and encouraged him to pursue it. I was so happy for him when he returned home after receiving his certifications and vouched for a position in the company to work with us. I see him as a younger brother and will always support and encourage him in any way that I can,” he told The SUN.

In addition, Adams stated that the proudest moment for him so far has been the overwhelming love and support he gets constantly from the South Caicos community because of his success. “I became a pilot because of my love for flying, but thanks to their continued support, I hold this success and whatever else is to come in the future because of them. I live this for everyone who has dreamed, but circumstances meant they were unable to achieve their dreams. InterCaribbean has been very good to us all, providing us with an opportunity to not only advance our careers but be a part of a family company where you feel more than an employee. For that, I am forever grateful.”

Return to “Caribbean Aviation People In The News”