[Executive Air] Investigation underway

News about this airline - please include a link to the source as well as the article text itself.
islandflyer
Engineer 4
Engineer 4

[Executive Air] Investigation underway

Unread post by islandflyer » Thu Aug 12, 2010

It has been reported by a reliable source that Executive Air in Barbados is currently under investigation, following an incident about a week ago at BGI involving their aircraft 8P-EAA, a Cessna 421.

The source reports that at the time there was challenging weather conditions on the field, such that an Americal Airlines aircraft (type not specified) inbound executed a missed approach. At some time after, and presumably before the weather had cleared, the subject aircraft landed, discharged its passengers (which included the Leader of the Opposition Ms. Mia Mottley), and while crossing the runway to the hanger, ran out of fuel.

It is therefore frightening to think that, had the aircraft been forced to do a go-around like the AA aircraft, it could have run out of fuel while still in the air, with very serious implications for the airline and the country had the Leader of the Opposition and her party been injured or killed. And all because the malfunctioning fuel gauges had not been properly reported to maintenance, under pressure from the management (both brother and sister).

Small airlines such as Executive Air are very much at risk, and require constant oversight. Having been involved in aviation for some time, and at Executive Air as well, I myself have seen instances of cutting corners, dangerous practices, and mechanical failures that should not have been. One can only hope that this investigation will be conducted swiftly and seriously, and that the local Civil Aviation office will grow a pair to do what they have been hired to do.

bajfly
Unranked
Unranked

Re: Investigation underway

Unread post by bajfly » Fri Aug 13, 2010

that company should never be in barbados from the get go, there are also other situations that that have happened there in the past also and probably hidden under the rug, makes you wonder why certain ppl are paid a salary at the civil aviataion office.

top o climb
Unranked
Unranked

Unread post by top o climb » Wed Aug 18, 2010

Can anyone say what is the outcome of this investigation?
Is it another slap on the wrist again???

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Unread post by bimjim » Wed Aug 18, 2010

I'm not excusing the pilot or the Tech Dir Office, but the excuse could be any bramble at all... "I fuelled up the mains after landing but forgot to switch tanks from the empty tips.", "My foot knocked the fuel selector off when I reboarded, so the engines were starved while taxying.", and so on. All they need is a plausible excuse and the investigation is going to be over.

islandflyer
Engineer 4
Engineer 4

Unread post by islandflyer » Wed Aug 18, 2010

I agree... and it is exacty because it can be any number of wonky excuses that makes this so infuriating. Nevertheless, since the DoM resigned forthwith, I presume there is more in the mortar than the pestle...

Hey, I wonder what ever happened to the 'investigation' of the Barbadian registered 8P-MLK Twin Otter running into the fence at St Vincent in June 2004?
Attachments
accident site - fence rh.JPG

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Unread post by bimjim » Wed Aug 18, 2010

"Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose." The more we change the more we remain the same. And it's not just Barbados.

The DoM may have resigned because management are trying to pin it on him/her, and he/she knew someone else is at fault.

A female traffic staff walked into my prop one night some 25 years ago, and was instantly killed. I was sent directly home, and told I would be called for an inquest. 10 years later I left Antigua, and am still waiting for the call.

In the main, bureaucracy everywhere does only what it feels is necessary to cover their asses, and ignores the rest. Executive Air's faux pas may just fade into the night like everything else.

top o climb
Unranked
Unranked

Unread post by top o climb » Wed Aug 18, 2010

Is there not usually more in the mortar than the pestle?

All that glitters is not gold.

islandflyer
Engineer 4
Engineer 4

Unread post by islandflyer » Wed Aug 18, 2010

The DoM may have resigned because management are trying to pin it on him/her, and he/she knew someone else is at fault
That is the truth... and the person to blame is Niubwb Diwufbif.

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Unread post by bimjim » Thu Aug 19, 2010

8^))

bajfly
Unranked
Unranked

Unread post by bajfly » Thu Aug 19, 2010

I keep repeating myself, executive air should never been allowed to operate in the first place. Does it not strike you people as odd, that 70% of the time that airline hardly did any flying , but yet still paid higher salaries to some workers and hardly to the others, and yet on top of it all hardly did much flying. wonder what became of the jet the us were so interested in?

islandflyer
Engineer 4
Engineer 4

Unread post by islandflyer » Thu Aug 19, 2010

When you turn on the light, roaches tend to scurry to safety in the darkness.

Amazing the lessons that nature can teach us.

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Unread post by bimjim » Thu Aug 19, 2010

All may not be as it seems... this may be the reverse of Stanford, who everybody though was a multi-millionaire and who "bought up" many acres - "gathered in" many more greedy souls than that, and in the process destroyed budding careers.

I have known of companies that existed solely as tax-write-offs, then were closed down when their usefulness ceased. For instance, we lived in a very nice apartment when we first came here to Tranna at very reasonable rent - until it no longer served the tax purpose the (rich) owners wanted, they sold the building, and rents just about doubled overnight.

So don't assume that what something really is what you think it should be... is it an airline... is it a convenience... is it a tax write-off... is it just a showpiece... is it a smuggling venture (sorry, guys)... or is it something else?

If it don't walk, talk or quack like a duck... news flash - it ain't a feckin duck.

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Unread post by bimjim » Fri Aug 20, 2010

Have the local authorities ever investigated the true number of hours this person has and not what is written in the book.
Local authorities what? The local authorities in Barbados would not know where to even start to check on a pilot's log book... just about all came from ATC or government, and we had this discussion about their competence before.

At least the ECCAA has some pilots in-house who also have past airline management experience and would know such a bramble as soon as they saw it.

Return to “Executive Air - Barbados”