Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

T&T in need of aviation professionals

Unread post by bimjim » Mon Mar 18, 2019

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/tt-in-ne ... 172fbae451

T&T in need of aviation professionals
Rishard Khan
Sun Mar 17 2019

Cha­gau­nas East MP Fazal Karim does not be­lieve enough is be­ing done to grow T&T’s avi­a­tion in­dus­try. He cit­ed the near 150-per­son turnout at his In­tro­duc­tion to Civ­il Avi­a­tion pro­gramme at his con­stituen­cy’s sub-of­fice on Sat­ur­day.

“Had this been done in the ed­u­ca­tion sys­tem to cater for the needs of all of these peo­ple, we would not have had the mul­ti­tude we had this morn­ing,” he said in an in­ter­view fol­low­ing the ses­sion

Re­tired di­rec­tor of the T&T Civ­il Avi­a­tion Au­thor­i­ty (TTCAA), Ramesh Lutch­me­di­al, who has has been work­ing in the avi­a­tion in­dus­try for more than 50 years, said there was a need for avi­a­tion pro­fes­sion­als in the coun­try.

“You need peo­ple all the time due to peo­ple re­tir­ing and peo­ple re­sign­ing and so on, there­fore there has to be a con­tin­u­ous de­vel­op­ment of peo­ple to take over and there is a short­age of avi­a­tion pro­fes­sion­als,” he said.

Lutch­me­di­al said it was not on­ly im­por­tant to train peo­ple to fill gaps but to al­so pro­vide train­ing to keep abreast with new tech­nolo­gies.

Cur­rent­ly, there is on­ly one air­line op­er­at­ing out of T&T, Caribbean Air­lines and on­ly three com­pa­nies which op­er­ate he­li­copters—PHI, Bris­tow and Na­tion­al He­li­copter Ser­vices Lim­it­ed.

Lutch­me­di­al said this had re­sult­ed in a glut of pi­lots.

De­spite this, he said, the avi­a­tion in­dus­try com­prised much more than just pi­lots who can ben­e­fit from its growth.

“We are the cross­roads be­tween North Amer­i­ca and Africa, Eu­rope and South Amer­i­ca. In Trinidad and To­ba­go, all en­er­gy and labour costs—com­par­a­tive­ly speak­ing—are rel­a­tive­ly in­ex­pen­sive and we have very skilled peo­ple here.

“If we were to es­tab­lish a main­te­nance, re­pair and over­haul (MRO) busi­ness here, you can at­tract what you call third part main­te­nance to main­te­nance for for­eign car­ri­ers,” he ex­plained.

The civ­il avi­a­tion pro­gramme con­tin­ues at the sub-of­fice for the next four Sat­ur­days and will be taught by Lutch­me­di­al.

It will ex­plore top­ics such as the de­vel­op­ment of civ­il avi­a­tion, avi­a­tion laws and reg­u­la­tions, types of air­craft, avi­a­tion se­cu­ri­ty and ca­reers in avi­a­tion in T&T.

Return to “Airport News - Eastern Caribbean”