New jet operator to serve Caribbean

News about this airline - please include a link to the source as well as the article text itself.
bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Unread post by bimjim » Thu Sep 24, 2009

http://www.dominicanewsonline.com/all_n ... /7490.html

BY Press release
Originally published: September 22, 2009 05:08:00 PM
Last updated: November 30, -0001 01:54:24 AM

Regional Jet Express has announced its impending launch October 18.

The launch will see the company become the only jet operator in the Caribbean when it establishes daily flight to 5 islands next month.

Regional Jet Express, FAIRCHILD Dornier 328 jets will serve Dominica, Puerto Rico; Santo Domingo in the Dominica Republic; St. Croix and St. Thomas in the US Virgin Islands, Tortola in the British Virgin Islands.

Regional Jet Express will add Cuba and Haiti to this list of island destinations soon, using non-US registered aircraft for these two countries.

The Fairchild Dornier 328 jet is the world’s first 22 –seat regional jet which was adapted from Dornier’s 328 turbo-propeller plane, the premiere turboprop in the 30 seat class. A regional jet is simply a short-haul turbofan-powered aircraft used for commuter flights.

Major commercial airline that have used Fairchild Dornier’s 328 jets and its turboprops for their commuter flights include Air Wisconsin Airlines Corporation (AWAC), Delta Connection, Haitian Airlines and Mid-West Connect.

The fuel-efficient, wide body twin turbofan-powered Fairchild Dornier 328 jet features:

- Two Pratt & Whitney Canada PW306B turbofans that provide better fuel efficiency and higher speed than other forms of transport in the Caribbean region, resulting in halved flying times and cheaper fares9Fare range between $100 USD and $700 USD, depending on the destination)

- A spacious cabin that offers two seats on one side and one on the other and ample cabin height(headroom) of 6 feet two inches.

- A whisper quiet ride unlike noisy turbo-propeller planes that fly in the Caribbean region.

- Cutting-edge technology that allows the 328 jet to climb fast (3,690 feet per minute) and land on short runways; its state of the art cockpit has the same instrumentation as a Boeing 777.

- A seating capacity of 32 to 34

- An upper altitudinal limit (flight ceiling) of 35,000 feet

- A high-winged design that enables excellent views because the wings and engines are positioned above the windows.

The Wyoming-based Regional Jet Express will have a satellite office in St Croix, USVI. Persons can contact the Regional Jet Express office at 1 767 440 7184 to access flights/reservation information.

The call centre will start accepting calls shortly. It will operate Monday to Thursday from 8:00am to 8:00pm and Friday as well as Sunday from 7:00am to 3:00pm.

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Re: New jet operator to serve Caribbean

Unread post by bimjim » Thu Sep 24, 2009

This from way back in March... plans seem to have been sharply delayed and reduced!!

http://www.caribbeanpressreleases.com/a ... Page1.html

Regional Jet Express, Serving 12 Caribbean Countries To Launch March 24, 2009

March 20, 2009 -- Regional Jet Express announces its impending launch, which will see the company become the only jet operator in the Caribbean when it establishes daily flights to 12 islands next month.

Regional Jet Express' Fairchild Dornier 328 jets will serve Barbados; Dominica; Guyana; Jamaica; Panama; Puerto Rico; Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic; St. Croix and St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands; Suriname; Tortola in the British Virgin Islands, and Trinidad. Regional Jet Express will add Cuba and Haiti to this list of island destinations soon, using non-U.S. registered aircraft for these two countries.

The Fairchild Dornier 328 jet is the world's first 32-seat regional jet, which was adapted from Dornier's 328 turbo-propeller plane, the premier turboprop in the 30-seat class. A regional jet is simply a short-haul, turbofan-powered aircraft used for commuter flights.

Major commercial airlines that have used Fairchild Dornier's 328 jets and its turboprops for their commuter flights include Air Wisconsin Airlines Corporation (AWAC), Delta Connection, Hainan Airlines, and Midwest Connect.

The fuel-efficient, wide body twin turbofan-powered Fairchild Dornier
328 jet features:

* Two Pratt & Whitney Canada PW306B turbofans that provide better fuel efficiency and higher speed than other forms of transport in the Caribbean region, resulting in halved flying times and cheaper fares (Fares range between $100 USD and $700 USD, depending on the destination)

* A spacious cabin that offers two seats on one side and one on the other, and ample cabin height (headroom) of 6 feet, two inches

* A whisper quiet ride unlike noisy turbo-propeller planes that fly in the Caribbean region

* Cutting-edge technology that allows the 328 jet to climb fast (3,690 feet per minute) and land on short runways; its state-of-the-art cockpit has the same instrumentation as a Boeing 777

* A seating capacity of 32 to 34

* An upper altitudinal limit (flight ceiling) of 35,000 feet

* A high-winged design that enables excellent views because the wings and engines are positioned above the windows

The Wyoming-based Regional Jet Express will have a satellite office in St. Croix, USVI.

Contact the Regional Jet Express call centre at 1-800-FLY-JETX to access flight/reservations information and file lost baggage reports/customer complaints. The call centre will start accepting phone calls on Monday, March 23, 2009. It will operate Monday through Thursday from 8:00a.m. to 8:00p.m., and Friday as well as Sunday from 7:00a.m. to 3:00p.m.

BugSpeed
.Captain
.Captain

Unread post by BugSpeed » Fri Sep 25, 2009

So no Caribbean Pilots will get in with them unless you have a green card I guess??

here is the website..under construction

http://www.interislandconnections.com/

islandflyer
Engineer 4
Engineer 4

Unread post by islandflyer » Sun Sep 27, 2009

I don't understand this... (any by the way, how serious of an effort do you think this is, if they are using Dornier 328's but show Embraer 145's on the website - not much attention to detail)

What will RJX have that all the others that tried and failed have? Is it jets? See Carib Express. Is it superior marketing? See Caribbean Star. Is it links to a more wealthy and powerful parent airline? See EC Express.

Here is a Caribbean story...

There is a steep mountain trail, and one guy (lets call him LIAT) is stuck halfway up. Has been for decades. He can't go up or down. You imagine that there are beauties and riches untold on the mountaintop, if only you can get past this unfortunate wretch in your path. Numerous others have already walked that certain path, only to fall off the edge into the abyss when trying to get past on the narrow trail. So what do you do. Use better shoes? Wear a fancier parka?

I say, forget about the trail and go back home. There are too many bodies at the bottom of the gorge, please don't add your own. Eventually that guy stuck on the trail will either starve to death, figure out his problem, or at the coming of the LORD, the mountain will cease to exist - problem solved.

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Unread post by bimjim » Mon Sep 28, 2009

Nice analogy about LIAT... but in reality the climber has a 200-pound backpack and a dozen "minders" all around him shouting everything from how badly he is doing to what equipment he is using to how he is going in the wrong direction (Board, Directors, politicians, management).

And for many years before that he had a 2000-pound gorilla sitting on his shoulders (Trinidad and BWIA) holding a rope with a large metal anchor attached.

Put it all in my perspective and there is little wonder this climber never makes any progress- it's just about all he can do to stay in the same place without falling over and sliding down the hill.

Years ago the political owners of LIAT sat in one their meetings and told LIAT there would be no more subvention money - after a year of such expenses on their behalf. You see, the owners only paid the subventions to LIAT AFTER the airline had spent the money and did the accounting. LIAT literally teetered on the brink of self-destruction for almost a year after that.

BTW, a subvention is where a government wants you to operate an internal route (such as Antigua-Barbuda, St, Kitts-Nevis, or St. Vincent-Grenadine islands) at reduced rates - or even at a loss - for the benefit of its own citizens and then makes up the difference.

I like the progress Mr. Challenger is making - it's a breath of fresh air. But I expect that before long the Board will choose another politically correct buffoon to take the helm and all will be the same old same old again. I guess they gave Darby "a chance" to see if he had what it took, but he fell into the same old ruts and let the rest of his entrenched staff set the course for the usual disaster.

I would put my hat in the ring for the CEO spot, but the Board would never even consider me because I am so outspoken about LIAT - and from being there so many years I know where many of the skeletons are hidden. I think I would raise too much dust and wake up too many sleeping dogs!!

Return to “Regional Jet Express”