-- Posts Summary: Airlines and Airports operating and not operating --

[Barbados] Former PM Owen Arthur passes

Please... keep it civil!!! No swearing or name-calling (at each other). And we already know what most politicians are...
bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

[Barbados] Former PM Owen Arthur passes

Unread post by bimjim » Mon Jul 27, 2020

https://www.nationnews.com/nationnews/n ... hur-passes

Former PM Owen Arthur passes
27 July 2020

Owen Seymour Arthur passed away today at age 70.

The Barbados Government Information Service said he died at 12:26 a.m. at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital.

Arthur, Barbados’ fifth Prime Minister, was hospitalised in mid-July with heart complications and was in the Intensive Care Unit.

He led the country for an unprecedented three consecutive terms from 1994 to 2008, having served as Member of Parliament for the constituency of St Peter from 1984 to 2013.

In 2013, Arthur announced that election would be his last after the Barbados Labour Party was defeated.

Since retiring from political office, Arthur was conferred with the title of Professor of Practice: Economics of Development by the University of the West Indies, Cave Hill Campus in November 2018 and in January 2020, was appointed chairman of the Board of LIAT the Caribbean Airline.

He is survived by wife Julie and daughters Sabrina and Leah.

The Government of Barbados extended sincerest condolences to his wife, children and extended family and announced that MP for St Peter, Colin Jordan, would be coordinating the funeral arrangements.

There will be a period of national mourning for three days. All flags will be flown at half mast.

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Re: [Barbados] Former PM Owen Arthur passes

https://www.nationnews.com/nationnews/n ... r-barbados

OWEN ARTHUR: From St. Peter to Barbados
27 July 2020

From humble beginnings in St Peter, Owen Seymour Arthur rose to lead Barbados during one of its most turbulent times, serving as Prime Minister from 1994 to 2008.

After Sir Lloyd Erskine Sandiford fell via a no-confidence motion and then announced an election in 1994, Arthur rallied the Barbados Labour Party (BLP) faithful to take the reins of power.

He went on to also win the General Elections of 1999 and 2003. His tenure remains the longest among Barbadian Prime Ministers and he was the fifth to hold that office, handling the portfolio of Minister of Finance and Economic Affairs.

Arthur was born on October 17, 1949. He was educated at All Saints Boys’ School, Coleridge and Parry School and Harrison College. He later pursued studies at the University of the West Indies (UWI) and holds a Master of Science degree in Economics.

He spent several years in Jamaica as a Research Assistant, five years at the National Planning Agency of Jamaica and served as Director of Economics at the Jamaica Bauxite Institute between 1979 and 1981.

He returned to Barbados in 1981 and worked in the Ministry of Finance and Planning before returning to UWI. Arthur served in the Senate from 1983, but his defining moment came the following year in the now famous St Peter by-election when he defeated the Democratic Labour Party’s (DLP) Sybil Leacock. He was Opposition Leader from 1993 to 1994 and again from 2010 to 2013.

His years in the BLP were not without controversy.

After suffering defeat in the 2008 general election, Arthur stepped down as party leader in favour of current Prime Minister Mia Mottley. But by October 2010, party chairman George Payne and other Members of Parliament Dale Marshall, Ronald Toppin, Gline Clarke and Arthur himself, voted in favour of the former Prime Minister to replace Mottley.

“This is a very difficult time for the country. It is a very difficult time for the party. It is a very difficult time for me,” Arthur said at the time. “I think the world about Mia Mottley. There is nobody in public life in Barbados who I would have facilitated and enabled them to become as much as they could be. I really do wish that Mia Mottley would have led the party to cause the people of Barbados to forget about me.”

He was replaced as party leader after the BLP lost the 2013 general election, announcing that would be his last.

Arthur was at times highly critical of Mottley and on July 25, 2014 announced his resignation from the Party after 43 years. He opposed the march against the Solid Waste Tax on the grounds that the DLP was “trying”, while the BLP’s solution of a tax on water was even more “absurd” than what was on the table.

He said in part: “And it tells me that this institution, has, in addition to other strong evidence, this institution has now been made a plaything and is in danger of becoming the victim of what I could only call “megalomaniac tendencies” and I don’t want to [be] part of an institution that is a plaything and allows itself to become a victim of megalomaniac tendencies.”

Arthur also opposed the wearing of white at the march, saying it went against the Party’s symbols.

In his latter years, he played an active role as a Professor of Practice: Economics of Development at the University of the West Indies, Cave Hill Campus and continued to write various papers on economics, trade and policy.

Earlier this year, he was appointed chairman of LIAT which is facing liquidation and Mottley also announced during one of her COVID-19 press conferences that she would be drawing on his expertise to help lead Barbados through these turbulent times.

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

https://www.nationnews.com/nationnews/n ... n-champion

Sir Ronald: Arthur a Caribbean Champion
27 July 2020

Sir Ronald Sanders issued a tribute following the death today of former Prime Minister Owen Arthur. Sir Ronald is a veteran Caribbean diplomat, presently serving as Antigua and Barbuda’s Ambassador to the United States and the OAS.

Please see the tribute below.

“Owen Arthur and I had been talking almost everyday over the last few weeks, until he was admitted to hospital. He was deeply troubled by events in Guyana and about matters concerning LIAT. Most of all, he was worried by dangers of fragmentation in the Caribbean Community in whose cause he worked to the very end. He richly deserves to be remembered as an outstanding Caribbean Champion”.

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

https://www.caribbeannationalweekly.com ... en-arthur/

Regional Leaders Praise Former Barbados Prime Minister Owen Arthur
July 27, 2020

Regional leaders have sent their tributes to former Prime Minister of Barbados, Owen Arthur, who died in Barbados on Monday from heart complications.

Prime Minister of Dominica, Roosevelt Skerrit praised Arthur for his contribution to the socio-economic development of Dominica describing him also as a regionalist, who fought for the betterment of the 15-member regional integration movement, CARICOM.

“When our country was going through very difficult economic challenges, we had the structural adjustment programme with the IMF, prime minister Owen Arthur then was one of the most strident supporters of our efforts in Dominica to the extent that Barbados granted Dominica a highly concessionary loan of US$10 million to assist with its financial and economic challenges,” Skerrit said.

Skerrit said that Dominica ‘will remain eternally grateful” to Arthur, who was also ‘a very strong advocate at the Caribbean Development Bank *(CDB) and other international financial institutions in mobilising support for Dominica.

“Prime Minister Owen Arthur was a sharp shooter. He was a regionalist, an integrationist, very very experience and knowledgeable and for me it was more than a life time privilege to have worked with Prime Minister Owen Arthur around the table of CARICOM and I was able to learn quite a bit from him”.

Skerrit said that Arthur was committed to the development of the region and recently chaired the board of directors of the cash-strapped regional airline, LIAT. He said as a young head of government, he had also been able to “reach out” to Arthur “to seek counsel and advice on many things.

Former Commonwealth secretary general, Sir Shridath Ramphal, said Barbados has lost a great son and the regional integration movement “CARICOM has lost a great West Indian. We are all the poorer for Owen’s going.

“His last leadership role was to chair the Commonwealth’s Observer Mission to the Guyana elections where he distinguished himself for his courage in speaking truth to power. May his memory be honoured in the upholding of his candour,” Sir Shridath said, adding “and may CARICOM for all time be guided by his credo of regional integration that marked his service to Barbados and the Caribbean Community entire”.

Also paying tribute to Arthur was Jamaica’s Prime Minister Andrew Holness. Via social media, Holness said “Owen Arthur was passionate about his country and the dream of regional integration. In the 1990s and early 2000s he helped to shape the political scene in the region. I extend sincere condolences to the family of Owen Arthur and the people of Barbados.”

St. Lucia’s Prime Minister Allen Chastanet extended “deepest condolences to Barbados” on the death of Arthur.

“Our heart goes out to his wife and daughters and all his family and friends and to the government and people of Barbados,” he added.

Arthur’s last regional public outing was to lead a Commonwealth Observer team to the March 2 regional and general elections in Guyana and in a statement, the main opposition People’s Progressive Party/Civic (PPP/C) said it was “deeply saddened” by his death.

“Our region has lost an eminent elder Statesman and a champion for equal rights and democracy,” the PPP/C said, adding that “Guyanese will forever remember Arthur’s defense of their right to choose their leaders democratically.

“The PPP joins the people of Guyana, Barbados, and the wider world in extending our sincerest condolences to Owen Arthur’s wife Julie, daughters Sabrina and Leah, and extended family.”

Arthur, Barbados longest serving prime minister, died earlier on Monday from heart related complications. He was 70.

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

https://www.nationnews.com/nationnews/n ... -caribbean

Fond memories of a 'true Caribbean man'
PR
27 July 2020

Dr Ralph Gonsalves, Prime Minister of St Vincent and the Grenadines and Chairman of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) issued a statement on the passing of his “dear friend” former Prime Minister Owen Arthur today.

Please see the full statement below.

“Owen Seymour Arthur, the distinguished former Prime Minister of Barbados, a titan of regional integration, and a most esteemed son of our Caribbean civilisation, passed away in the early minutes, today, July 27, at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Barbados. He was 70 years old.

“Our Caribbean, our hemisphere, and our world have lost a statesman and intellect of the highest quality. We shall miss him. I shall miss my dear friend, Owen, a progressive soul who applied his heart to wisdom. I am personally enveloped in profound sadness, grief, and pain at his death, yet full of fond and uplifting memories of him. It is only one month ago, to the day, that we were together in a Zoom meeting on LIAT; he was there as Chairman of LIAT’s board of directors, an assignment which he had assumed with much energy, realism, and hopefulness.

“Owen Arthur, as head of the Barbados Labour Party (BLP), led Barbados as Prime Minister for an unprecedented three consecutive terms from 1994 to 2008; he was the long-standing member of Parliament for his beloved constituency of St Peter for 29 years, from 1984 to 2013.

“Owen Arthur was the chief architect, advocacy, and intellectual guide of the CARICOM Single Market and Economy (CSME). He was deeply committed to making our union in the Caribbean more perfect, the best practicable institutional political and economic expression of our Caribbean civilisation. We owe him an immense debt of gratitude.

“Fittingly, after he demitted active politics, the University of the West Indies, of which he was an outstanding graduate, conferred upon him the title and role of Professor of Practice: Economics of Development, as a scholar in residence at its Cave Hill campus. Owen Arthur was a top-notch student and contributor to the history of ideas and economic thought in our Caribbean. He was possessed of a towering intellect and a masterful use of language which he deployed in his economic and political praxis.

“Owen Arthur was a true Caribbean man with a deeply-rooted Barbadianness, steeped in our culture and way of life, devoted always to the further ennoblement of our Caribbean civilisation, while at the same time learning from the universalism and well-springs of world civilisations. He loved our Caribbean and its manifestations in cricket, dominoes, food, music, literature, poetry, and joyous living. He loved our people and strove to make their lives better. He came from humble beginnings and retained the humility and unfussiness of the folk from whom he sprung. He was a devoted family man.

“Prior to his brief hospitalisation, he was deeply agitated about the imminent threat to democracy in Guyana; and he reserved some of his finest and most biting barbs against those in that CARICOM member-state who, without right reason or principle, verbally abused Mia Mottley and me because of our stance in defense of free and fair elections.

“Owen has gone to meet his glorious ancestors. He was among the best of our generation. I feel certain that our mutual friend, Patrick Manning former Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago will greet him in Beulah land. May he rest in peace.

“On behalf of the government and people of St Vincent and the Grenadines, on behalf of the Caribbean Community, on behalf of my family and myself, I extend sincerest condolences to his widow Julie, his daughters Sabrina and Leah, his family, friends, and the people of Barbados and the Caribbean.”

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

http://www.loopcayman.com/content/caric ... egration-0

CARICOM Chairman: Owen Arthur a titan of regional integration
27 JULY 2020

The Caribbean owes an immense debt of gratitude to the late former Prime Minister of Barbados, Owen Seymour Arthur.

This sentiment was expressed by St Vincent and Grenadines Prime Minister and CARICOM Chairman Dr Ralph Gonsalves.

Arthur passed away on Monday (July 27).

He was 70 years old.

In his tribute, the Vincentian Prime Minister described Arthur as a titan of regional integration and a most esteemed son of the Caribbean civilisation.

Gonsalves says: “Owen Arthur was the chief architect, advocacy, and intellectual guide of the CARICOM Single Market and Economy (CSME).

He was deeply committed to making our union in the Caribbean more perfect, the best practicable institutional political and economic expression of our Caribbean civilisation. We owe him an immense debt of gratitude.”

The CARICOM Chairman notes one month ago to the day, they were together in a Zoom meeting on LIAT.

Arthur was there as Chairman of LIAT’s Board of Directors, an assignment which Gonsalves said he assumed with much energy, realism and hopefulness.

Gonsalves says prior to Arthur’s brief hospitalisation, he was deeply agitated about the imminent threat to democracy in Guyana.

He says Arthur reserved some of his finest and most biting barbs against those in that CARICOM member-state who, without right reason or principle, verbally abused Mia Mottley and himself because of their stance in defense of free and fair elections.

A true Caribbean man is how Arthur will be remembered.

Gonsalves says: “He loved our Caribbean and its manifestations in cricket, dominoes, food, music, literature, poetry, and joyous living. He loved our people and strove to make their lives better. He came from humble beginnings and retained the humility and unfussiness of the folk from whom he sprung. He was a devoted family man.”

The CARICOM Chairman adds: “Owen has gone to meet his glorious ancestors. He was among the best of our generation. I feel certain that our mutual friend, Patrick Manning former Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago will greet him in Beulah land. May he rest in peace.”

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

https://www.loopnewscaribbean.com/conte ... -save-liat

PM Browne on Owen Arthur: He encouraged me to fight to save LIAT
DIONNE BAPTISTE
27 JULY 2020

Antigua and Barbuda Premier Gaston Browne and BVI Premier Andrew Fahie have joined the growing list of regional politicians to pay tribute to their fallen colleague, Professor Owen Arthur.

In a letter sent to Barbados Prime Minister Mia Mottley, PM Browne said the region has lost one of its most thoughtful, intelligent and iconic sons, and Antigua and Barbuda has lost an unrelenting ally.

He said the people of Barbados knew Owen Arthur in ways that his CARICOM colleagues can only imagine.

“His roots were planted deep in the regional dream of integration; he was locked-in to this grand future by the castle of his love for the Caribbean people and their institutions. Most recently, when appointed by Barbados as the Chairman of LIAT, he evinced his commitment to the future of our regional air carrier. He encouraged me to fight on to save LIAT from liquidation, embracing it as a regional institution that was worthy of a future. When I spoke with him last, from my Cabinet meeting room, he congratulated the shareholder governments for making the compromise that has led to LIAT’s re-organization,” PM Browne said.

The Antigua and Barbuda Prime Minister said Professor Arthur will be missed by many.

He lauded the former Barbados Prime Minister for his determination to achieve success in all fields while ensuring a place for all at the table of regional integration.

Prime Minister Brown said: “We extend our deepest condolences to his wife, his children and his extended family. May the gods of our ancestors guide his feet in the afterlife.”

Meanwhile, parliamentarians in the British Virgin Islands observed 30 seconds of silence as they paid tribute to the former Prime Minister.

BVI Premier Andrew Fahie said the Caribbean has lost one of it’s best public service giants in Owen Arthur.

He said: “More than any other leader of his era, he was a champion of regional integration and Caribbean unity, which he pushed for vigorously through CARICOM. He was about the welfare of the countries of the Caribbean region. His legacy lives on as the Caribbean continues to build on the regional integration initiative began under his leadership.”

Premier Fahie said Professor Owen Arthur will always be held in the highest regard for his wisdom, institutional knowledge and the invaluable contributions he made to regional integration.

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Unread post by bimjim » Tue Jul 28, 2020

https://www.loopnewscaribbean.com/conte ... bean-son-0

Grenada mourns loss of great Caribbean son
27 JULY 2020

Grenada's Prime Minister Dr Keith Mitchell has expressed condolences on the passing of one of the Caribbean’s statesmen, Owen Seymour Arthur.

Arthur was Barbados’ longest serving prime minister, serving in that office for an unprecedented three consecutive terms from 1994 to 2008.

Mitchell, in paying tribute to Arthur, described him as a “close friend and colleague”.

He added: “Barbados and the Caribbean have lost a great son. He was one of the brilliant and best political minds of the region. A brilliant economist as well. I had tremendous respect for his insight into political and economic issues.”

Mitchell met the late Owen Arthur at the University of the West Indies Cave Hill Campus in Barbados where they both studied, and played together on the UWI cricket team.

They both went on to further their studies overseas and returned to their respective countries around the same time.

Mitchell said: “We were in government around the same time, then went into opposition around the same time. We maintained a good relationship throughout the years.”

Arthur was the featured speaker during an NNP convention at the end of 1994, months before Mitchell became prime minister in June 1995.

Mitchell extends his deepest condolences to all Barbadians, especially Arthur’s wife Julie, his daughters Sabrina and Leah.

Arthur died Monday (July 27) at 12.26 am.

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

https://theworldnews.net/ag-news/liat-p ... wen-arthur

LIAT pays tribute to Owen Arthur
28 July, 2020

(Barbados Today)

The Management and Staff of LIAT are deeply saddened by the passing of the Chairman of the Board of Directors, the Right Honourable, Professor Owen Arthur.

Professor Arthur was the quintessential Caribbean citizen and statesman. He will be remembered for his vision for the Caribbean sub-region and the lifelong work he did to build regional unity through CARICOM.

As a former Prime Minister of Barbados and more recently as Chairman of LIAT’s Board of Directors, he recognized the importance of regional connectivity and LIAT’s role in supporting the socio-economic fabric of the region.

He chose to serve selflessly as our Chairman, and we are grateful for his leadership and guidance during these challenging times.

The Management and Staff of LIAT extend our deepest sympathies to his family, friends, and the people of Barbados.

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

https://searchlight.vc/searchlight/pres ... gonsalves/

Owen Arthur – a statesman and intellect of the highest quality says Gonsalves
28 July, 2020

STATEMENT ON THE PASSING OF
OWEN SEYMOUR ARTHUR
FORMER PRIME MINISTER OF BARBADOS
BY THE HON. RALPH E. GONSALVES
PRIME MINISTER OF ST. VINCENT AND THE GRENADINES
AND CHAIRMAN OF THE CARIBBEAN COMMUNITY (CARICOM)

Owen Seymour Arthur, the distinguished former Prime Minister of Barbados, a titan of regional integration, and a most esteemed son of our Caribbean civilization, passed away in the early minutes, today, July 27th, at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Barbados.

He was 70 years old.

Our Caribbean, our hemisphere, and our world have lost a statesman and intellect of the highest quality. We shall miss him. I shall miss my dear friend, Owen, a progressive soul who applied his heart to wisdom. I am personally enveloped in profound sadness, grief, and pain at his death, yet full of fond and uplifting memories of him.

It is only one month ago, to the day, that we were together in a Zoom meeting on LIAT; he was there as Chairman of LIAT’s Board of Directors, an assignment which he had assumed with much energy, realism, and hopefulness.

Owen Arthur, as head of the Barbados Labour Party (BLP), led Barbados as Prime Minister for an unprecedented three consecutive terms from 1994 to 2008; he was the long-standing member of Parliament for his beloved constituency of St. Peter for 29 years, from 1984 to 2013.

Owen Arthur was the chief architect, advocacy, and intellectual guide of the CARICOM Single Market and Economy (CSME). He was deeply committed to making our union in the Caribbean more perfect, the best practicable institutional political and economic expression of our Caribbean civilization. We owe him an immense debt of gratitude.

Fittingly, after he demitted active politics, the University of the West Indies, of which he was an outstanding graduate, conferred upon him the title and role of Professor of Practice: Economic of Development, as a scholar in residence at its Cave Hill campus. Owen Arthur was a top-notch student and contributor to the history of ideas and economic thought in our Caribbean. He was possessed of a towering intellect and a masterful use of language which he deployed in his economic and political praxis.

Owen Arthur was a true Caribbean man with a deeply-rooted Barbadianness, steeped in our culture and way of life, devoted always to the further ennoblement of our Caribbean civilisation, while at the same time learning from the universalism and well-springs of world civilisations. He loved our Caribbean and its manifestations in cricket, dominoes, food, music, literature, poetry, and joyous living. He loved our people and strove to make their lives better. He came from humble beginnings and retained the humility and unfussiness of the folk from whom he sprung. He was a devoted family man.

Prior to his brief hospitalization, he was deeply agitated about the imminent threat to democracy in Guyana; and he reserved some of his finest and most biting barbs against those in that CARICOM member-state who, without right reason or principle, verbally abused Mia Mottley and me because of our stance in defense of free and fair elections.

Owen has gone to meet his glorious ancestors. He was among the best of our generation. I feel certain that our mutual friend, Patrick Manning former Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago will greet him in Beulah land. May he rest in peace.

On behalf of the government and people of St. Vincent and the Grenadines, on behalf of the Caribbean Community, on behalf of my family and myself, I extend sincerest condolences to his widow Julie, his daughters Sabrina and Leah, his family, friends, and the people of Barbados and the Caribbean.

Dated the 27th of July, 2020.

Dr. The Hon. Ralph E. Gonsalves

Prime Minister of St. Vincent and the Grenadines and Chairman of CARICOM

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

https://www.barbadosadvocate.com/news/f ... asses-away

FORMER PM PASSES AWAY
-- Arthur was an intellectual and political force
DORIAN BRYAN
07/28/2020

BARBADOS has lost one of its most acknowledged and respected economic and political forces.

The death of former Prime Minister, the Right Honourable Professor Owen Arthur early yesterday morning, has provided a shock to the system of this country which is still dealing with the ongoing fall-out from COVID-19 and the prevailing economic conditions. These have the potential to retard any real economic growth, which is needed to move this country out of the economic doldrums.

A voice with the dual economic and political gravitas of Owen Arthur would have been critical to that effort to rescue and reposition this country to access the benefits of the post-COVID-19 realities, but that voice has been silenced, many would say way too soon.

Born October 17, 1949, to parents Frank and Iretha Arthur, he was educated at the Coleridge and Parry Boys’ School, before attending Harrison College and then the University of the West Indies – Cave Hill. It was at the latter that he earned a degree – B.A. in Economics and History in 1971 and a MSc in Economics in 1974. He then continued his work in Economics with his work with the Jamaican National Planning Agency and the Jamaica Bauxite Institute, after which he returned to Barbados to take up a posting within the Ministry of Finance and Planning in 1981.

Arthur’s first sojourn into active politics took place in 1983 when he was appointed to the Senate in 1983, then won the St. Peter By-election of 1984. He would continue his rapid rise within the BLP and would be chosen as Opposition Leader in 1993 and successfully brought a no-confidence motion against the Lloyd Erskine Sandiford administration in 1994. He would lead the Barbados Labour Party (BLP) to Government and start a period of electoral dominance which saw the BLP winning three successive elections, especially in 1999, when the party won 26 of the available 28 seats.

Therefore, Arthur would establish himself as one of the region’s most astute political forces, presiding over a period of economic growth and development, where the government invested in industries and formulated growth policies which helped the private sector to reach its highest potential.

The push towards Barbados attracting more foreign direct investment was critical at this time. Tourism investment grew during his years as Prime Minister and the International Business sector blossomed as well.

He was a champion of the Caribbean (CARICOM) Single Market and Economy (CSME) and assumed lead responsibility, within the Caribbean Community (CARICOM), for the Caribbean Single Market and Economy (CSME). In his final term as Prime Minister, Barbados was involved in hosting the finals of the 2007 ICC Cricket World Cup.

Arthur remained a potent force even after the BLP lost the 2008 General Elections. He gave up the leadership of the BLP and was replaced by Mia Amor Mottley and returned to the helm in October 2010, after Mottley was removed as leader. He led the party into the 2013 elections, which the party narrowly lost to the Democratic Labour Party under then Prime Minister Freundel Stuart.

Arthur earned the respect of those who he battled within the political sphere. The man who defeated him in 2008 and took over the office of Prime Minister David Thompson, said the following in 2008, speaking at UWI Cave Hill’s 60th anniversary. Speaking effusively about the great political leaders who came through the halls of the University, Thompson stated the following: “There are countless graduates of our UWI who have chosen politics as a career. But those who have gone on to serve as Prime Ministers would include: Hon. Percival James Patterson, former Prime Minister of Jamaica; Hon. Dr. Keith Mitchell, Prime Minister of Grenada; Sir Kennedy A. Simmonds, former Premier and Prime Minister of St. Kitts & Nevis; Hon. Dr. Denzil Douglas, current Prime Minister of St. Kitts & Nevis; Hon. Dr. Kenny Anthony, former Prime Minister of St. Lucia; Hon. Patrick Manning, Prime Minister of Trinidad & Tobago; Hon. Dr. Ralph Gonsalves, Prime Minister of St. Vincent & the Grenadines; Sir Lloyd Erskine Sandiford, former Prime Minister of Barbados; Hon. Owen Arthur, my immediate predecessor in Barbados. Of course, graduates of our University of the West Indies have excelled in every other area of life since this outstanding regional institution was established in 1948,” he added.

Also, one of the highlights of Arthur’s performances were his verbal battles within political debates in the House of Assembly. Known for his grasp of economic data and the ability for showmanship and the quick turns of phrases, he had a series of sparring matches with David Thompson, then Freundel Stuart, Clyde Mascoll and of most recent vintage former Minister of Finance, Christopher Sinckler.

One such series of battles took place in the period between 2006 and 2008. The normal fiesty closing speech of the Budget debate by Prime Minister and Minister of Finance, the Right Honourable Owen Arthur, became legendary because of the political jousting that he faced from Thompson. The normal procedure of those speeches was the stuff of legends and then Prime Minister was often seen showing his political power, while many sat quietly within the House and in earshot and took the verbal punches. Somehow in April 2007, the tide turned. As Prime Minister Arthur rose to his feet to begin his reply, something seemed different. With a puff of his chest, Arthur launched full steam ahead into his attack on the Opposition and of course Thompson, who just had a pronounced smirk on his face.

There was an energy in the House. Something was said and Thompson rose on a point of order to refute the charge. This, in itself was strange, but Arthur continued, and again Thompson rose on a point of order. This continued for a short period until a charge was made about a cheque, which changed the tone in the debate. Arthur denied, but Thompson pressed on manfully. Prime Minister Arthur relented and wrapped up debate, way short of his usual efforts. It was a classic display of political cat and mouse. The once seemingly invincible leader was wounded politically.

Like any great man, he got back up, kept fighting and remained a dangerous foe throughout the tenure of the DLP Government, which governed from 2008 to 2018.

Arthur’s story is much more dynamic than can be captured in one story, with decades of contributions to the development of this country.

He is survived by his wife Julie and two daughters – Sabrina and Leah. His hobbies included gardening and cooking.

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

https://www.caribbeannationalweekly.com ... tegration/

Mia Mottley Praises Owen Arthur as a Stalwart for Regional Integration
July 28, 2020

BRIDGETOWN, Barbados

The Barbados government on Monday praised former prime minister Owen Arthur for his significant and meaningful contributions to the political as well as the socio-economic development of the island as well as the wider Caribbean Community (CARICOM).

In an address to the nation, marking the death of Arthur at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Mottley said her late colleague’s passion for the development of the region “coincided with his responsibility as the lead prime minister in CARICOM for the single market and single economy.

“I was with Owen in Jamaica when he signed in 2006 with tremendous pride the instruments that brought the CARICOM Single Market into existence. He was brimming with pride,” she said, recalling also how the former prime minister had ‘set out to and did master the art of politics.

“But he never in so doing compromised his economic training and his commitment at all times to sound policy. It was his hallmark. Owen from the earl 1990s moulded a new class of politicians in this country, and changed in many ways how those representatives would serve to better meet the changing needs…as they served their constituencies”.

She said he worked assiduously “to make this the new standard for political mobilisation and representation for all and we all followed”.

Arthur, an economist, had been hospitalised earlier this month after suffering heart related complications.

He served as prime minister on three occasions between September 1994 to January 2008. He was Leader of the Opposition in Barbados from 1 August 1993 to 6 September 1994; and from 23 October 2010 to 21 February 2013.

Arthur lead the ruling Barbados Labour Party (BLP) to victory in the 1994 general election and won general elections again in 1999 and 2003.

In the 2008 general election, his party was defeated by the Democratic Labour Party .Arthur stepped down as party leader, but remained the Member of Parliament for the constituency of Saint Peter. He subsequently returned to lead the BLP in 2010, but he was replaced as party leader after the BLP lost the 2013 general election.

Mottley said Arthur was indeed the “man for all times” who never lost the thirst for public policy and that his counsel, especially on the Barbados economy “was rendered to all governments.

“Indeed it was on this platform where duty met politics and policy in the national interest that he and I, we would anchor our most recent relationship and I thank him for meeting me here in the last 18 months.

“I asked him to serve in a number of key areas including in a jobs and advisory council, this came in the last year after he helped this government in the forging of a new industrial policy and in a review of the international trade options small island developing states as we prepared ourselves to be the smallest country to host an UNCTAD Assembly.

“His work will continue as we continue those preparations and will be built upon,”, Mottley said, adding that the coronavirus (COVID019) had severely affected his last assignment as the chair of the board of directors of the financially-strapped regional airline LIAT.

“It was with a heavy heart that he and his board recommended the liquidation of LIAT (1974) Limited. Owen was conscious that he made the decision to increase Barbados’s participation with LIAT at the turn of the century…but that the scale of the impact of COVID and the state of the company as it is today would make that task virtually out of our reach and certainly as Barbadians given all that we now had to face with COVID.”

Mottley said Barbados, and indeed the Caribbean is poorer for Arthur’s death, adding “his intellect was larger than life, his love of country as constant as the Northern Star,” she said.

She told the nation that the late prime minister had discharged his duty “with distinction,” adding “he shall remain in that pantheon of Caribbean leaders and on behalf of the government and people of Barbados, we say thank you to Owen Seymour Arthur and to his family for service to a grateful nation and to a proud people”.

The main opposition Democratic Labour Party (DLP) in extending condolences, noted “as the longest-serving leader, who presided over a period of expansion for Barbados, he deserves his place rightfully alongside other noted nation-builders.

“Despite being associated with party politics, in the last two years he freely offered advice and direction across the political divide,” the party added.

Barbados is observing three days of national mourning in his honour.

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Unread post by bimjim » Wed Jul 29, 2020

https://antiguaobserver.com/tributes-fo ... en-arthur/

Tributes for iconic son of the region Sir Owen Arthur
July 28, 2020

Late LIAT chairman Sir Owen Arthur, who died yesterday, has been described as “one of the greatest statesmen of the 20th century Caribbean”.

The accolade came from Vice-Chancellor of the University of the West Indies (UWI), Professor Sir Hilary Beckles in expressing condolences on the passing of Arthur, also a former Prime Minister of Barbados.

The 70-year-old was the fifth and longest serving Barbadian Prime Minister to date.

“Emerging from the second generation of nation builders he was a successful champion of the most important discourses of his time,” Beckles continued. “We knew him as a quintessential regionalist and a leader in development economics. He was also a humanist with deep commitment to social justice.”

Arthur was a vibrant part of the university community. In 2018, he was appointed Professor of Practice: Economics of Development at the UWI Cave Hill Campus and served until the time of his passing.

He was also a notable economist, and an alumnus of both the Cave Hill and Mona campuses. He earned a Bachelor’s degree in 1971 in economics and history at Cave Hill, and his Master’s degree in economics in 1974 at Mona.

Arthur began working in Jamaica in 1973, first as a research assistant at the university and later as an assistant economic planner with the Jamaica government’s National Planning Agency.

In 1981 he returned to Barbados, and worked for the Barbadian Ministry of Finance and Planning from 1981 to 1983, then 1985 to 1986, and also served as a research fellow at UWI’s Institute of Social and Economics Research from 1983 to 1985.

His political career began with his appointment to the Barbadian Senate in 1983. In 1993 he was appointed as the parliamentary Opposition Leader as head of the Barbados Labour Party and, upon the party’s decisive victory in the September 1994 elections, he became Prime Minister.

After his political career Arthur remained connected to his alma mater and continued to nurture an intimate relationship with the UWI. Since 2016, he served as one of the eminent patrons of the annual UWI Global Giving Week, which has been dedicated to cultivating support to strengthen UWI’s capacity to drive regional development.

As part of his academic life, he delivered several distinguished lectures, on topics such as “Caribbean Regionalism in the Context of Economic Challenges”, “The IMF and the Caribbean: New Directions for a New Relationship,” and “Brexit and the New Caribbean Trade Agenda”.

In 2017, he was a lead participant at the first major public event for the SUNY-UWI Center for Leadership and Sustainable Development hosted in New York—a Symposium titled “The Crisis in Correspondent Banking and its Impact on Sustainable Economic Development in the Caribbean”.

In 2018, Arthur was among 70 alumni honoured as part of UWI’s 70th anniversary celebrations and he also donated his Cabinet papers collated during his 14-year tenure in office to Cave Hill’s special collections.

In his condolences, Vice-Chancellor Beckles added, “The UWI he empowered in his role as Prime Minister, and from which he was proud to be a graduate, researcher, and lecturer, Professor of Practice, and Honorary Distinguished Fellow, celebrates his legacy. Condolences are offered to his family, and government and people of Barbados.”

Tributes were also forthcoming from Antigua and Barbuda’s Prime Minister Gaston Browne who said Sir Arthur was one of the region’s “most thoughtful, intelligent and iconic sons” and an “unrelenting ally” to the twin island nation.

“His roots were planted deep in the regional dream of integration; he was locked-in to this grand future by the castle of his love for the Caribbean people and their institutions.

“Most recently, when appointed by Barbados as the chairman of LIAT, he evinced his commitment to the future of our regional air carrier. He encouraged me to fight on to save LIAT from liquidation, embracing it as a regional institution that was worthy of a future,” Browne said.

“When I spoke with him last, from my Cabinet meeting room, he congratulated the shareholder governments for making the compromise that has led to LIAT’s re-organisation.”

Arthur also recently served as the head of the Commonwealth Observer Mission to Guyana’s general and regional elections.

Antigua and Barbuda’s ambassador to the US, Sir Ronald Sanders, said he had been in discussion with Arthur almost daily in recent weeks, until Arthur was admitted to hospital a week ago.

“He was deeply troubled by events in Guyana and about matters concerning LIAT,” Sir Ronald revealed.

“Most of all, he was worried by dangers of fragmentation in the Caribbean Community in whose cause he worked to the very end. He richly deserves to be remembered as an outstanding Caribbean champion,” he added.

Guyanese politician – and the second Commonwealth Secretary-General – Sir Shridath Ramphal said Caricom had “lost a great West Indian”.

“We are all the poorer for Owen’s going. His last leadership role was to chair the Commonwealth’s Observer Mission to the Guyana elections where he distinguished himself for his courage in speaking truth to power,” he continued.

“May his memory be honoured in the upholding of his candour. And may Caricom for all time be guided by his credo of regional integration that marked his service to Barbados and the Caribbean Community entire,” Sir Shridath added.

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Unread post by bimjim » Wed Jul 29, 2020

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/lett ... -statesman

Letter Of The Day | The World Has Lost A Statesman
July 28, 2020

THE EDITOR, Madam:

With the passing of Owen Seymour Arthur, the distinguished former prime minister of Barbados, a titan of regional integration, and a most esteemed son of our civilisation, our Caribbean, our hemisphere, and our world have lost a statesman and intellect of the highest quality. We shall miss him. I shall miss my dear friend, Owen, a progressive soul who applied his heart to wisdom.

I am personally enveloped in profound sadness, grief, and pain at his death, yet full of fond and uplifting memories of him. It is only one month ago, to the day, that we were together in a Zoom meeting on LIAT; he was there as chairman of LIAT’s board of directors, an assignment which he had assumed with much energy, realism and hopefulness.

Owen Arthur, as head of the Barbados Labour Party, led Barbados as prime minister for an unprecedented three consecutive terms from 1994 to 2008; he was the long-standing member of parliament for his beloved constituency of St Peter for 29 years, from 1984 to 2013.

Owen Arthur was the chief architect, advocate, and intellectual guide of the CARICOM Single Market and Economy. He was deeply committed to making our union in the Caribbean more perfect, the best practicable institutional, political and economic expression of our Caribbean civilisation. We owe him an immense debt of gratitude.

TRUE CARIBBEAN MAN

Fittingly, after he demitted active politics, The University of the West Indies, of which he was an outstanding graduate, conferred upon him the title and role of professor of practice: economic of development, as a scholar in residence at its Cave Hill campus. Owen Arthur was a top-notch student and contributor to the history of ideas and economic thought in our Caribbean. He was possessed of a towering intellect and a masterful use of language which he deployed in his economic and political praxis.

Owen Arthur was a true Caribbean man with a deeply rooted Barbadianness, steeped in our culture and way of life, devoted always to the further ennoblement of our Caribbean civilisation, while at the same time, learning from the universalism and wellsprings of world civilisations. He loved our Caribbean and its manifestations in cricket, dominoes, food, music, literature, poetry, and joyous living. He loved our people and strove to make their lives better. He came from humble beginnings and retained the humility and unfussiness of the folk from whom he sprung. He was a devoted family man.

Prior to his brief hospitalisation, he was deeply agitated about the imminent threat to democracy in Guyana; and he reserved some of his finest and most biting barbs against those in that CARICOM member state who, without right reason or principle, verbally abused Mia Mottley and me because of our stance in defence of free and fair elections.

Owen has gone to meet his glorious ancestors. He was among the best of our generation. I feel certain that our mutual friend, Patrick Manning, former prime minister of Trinidad and Tobago, will greet him in Beulah Land. May he rest in peace.

On behalf of the government and people of St Vincent and the Grenadines, on behalf of the Caribbean Community, on behalf of my family and myself, I extend sincerest condolences to his widow Julie, his daughters Sabrina and Leah, his family, friends, and the people of Barbados and the Caribbean.

DR RALPH GONSALVES

Prime Minister of St Vincent and the Grenadines

Chairman of CARICOM

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Unread post by bimjim » Fri Jul 31, 2020

https://www.nationnews.com/nationnews/n ... t-larocque

Owen Arthur a strident regionalist, says LaRocque
31 July 2020

The CARICOM Secretariat issued a statement following the passing of former Prime Minister Owen Arthur on Monday.

The statement follows.

The late former Prime Minister of Barbados, Professor Owen Arthur has been praised as a strident regionalist and a relentless advocate for the advancement of the CARICOM Single Market and Economy (CSME).

CARICOM Secretary-General Ambassador Irwin LaRocque, in a statement following the passing of Professor Arthur on Monday, noted that as CARICOM Lead Head of Government for the CSME, Professor worked very closely with the CARICOM Secretariat to advance the initiative.

“In that regard, he was instrumental in the establishment of a Secretariat Office in Barbados dedicated to the initiative. He also worked assiduously to encourage the private sector to become more engaged in the work to make the CSME a lived reality,” the Secretary-General said.

“Professor Arthur was a strong advocate of functional co-operation which he viewed as fundamental for the success of the integration movement,” he noted.

“As Chair of CARICOM, he was the driving force behind the Needham Point Declaration of 2007, which positioned functional co-operation both as a priority and one of the principal means of distributing benefits among the Members of the Community.”

He said Professor Arthur continued his interest in the development of CARICOM and the integration process after demitting office.

“In 2010, he produced a major study for the Community on the ‘Integration of Belize and the Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS) into the CSME’, he noted.

“During his mission to Guyana to observe the Elections last March, he found the time to visit the Secretariat Headquarters, where I engaged with him once again. Our discussions about the Community and the CSME demonstrated his ongoing passion and concerns for the region.”

“His commitment to regionalism has been maintained with his work at the University of the West Indies (UWI), as Professor of Practice: Economics of Development and more recently as Chairman of the Board of LIAT.”

“From his student days at the UWI to his untimely passing, Professor Arthur has been an unstinting champion of the region and of integration,” the Secretary-General said.

Return to “Politricks”