Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

AATT rectifying disabled policy after wheelchair drama

Unread post by bimjim » Sun Nov 05, 2017

http://www.looptt.com/content/airports- ... hair-drama

Airports Authority rectifying disabled policy after wheelchair drama
Alina Doodnath
5 November 2017

Airports Authority of Trinidad and Tobago (the Authority) said it is ensuring that all disabled passengers who pass through the country's airports are properly facilitated after former temporary senator Dr. Kriyaan Singh was prevented from boarding his flight in his wheelchair.

The Authority said to LoopTT that Dr Singh, who is disabled and travels with his wheelchair, received service which was not in line with its customer service policies. Corporate Communications Manager Zola Joseph said the Authority has been in touch with Dr Singh and is rectifying the situation.

"The Airports Authority of Trinidad and Tobago ("the Authority") has reached out to Mr Kryaan Singh to express sincerest apologies for the unfortunate incident which he experienced on Wednesday November 1st 2017 at the ANR Robinson International Airport. The service he experienced is not in line with our customer service policies or standards. The Authority has engaged the differently-abled community to find ways to improve on our customer service facilitation for our customers who are differently-abled."

"The Authority understands its responsibility to the differently-abled community and will make every effort to work with all of our stakeholders to ensure that all of our customers have a safe and comfortable experience at our airport facilities and that an incident such as this does not recur," Joseph said.

Dr Singh said in a public social media post that he was boarding a flight at the ANR Robinson International Airport last Wednesday, bound for Trinidad, when he was told he could not board the flight on his own wheelchair because it could not pass through the scanner. He said he was hesitant to be parted from his wheelchair as on three previous occasions his chair had either been lost or had had parts missing when it was returned to him. He said officials began trying to dismantle the chair in order to pass it through the scanner.

"Yesterday at Tobago airport to return to Trinidad the airport security at departure gate tells me they must take me off my wheelchair and scan it to check in on plane and I MUST use their airport wheelchair to wait and go on plane ( over an hour ). The head honcho their said it was the airlines protocol ( CAL). I reminded them that I came here from Trinidad on the same airline through the international check point and came straight to gate earlier with my chair... I also pointed out that on three previous occasions CAL had lost my wheelchair, parts or given my seat cushion (special for me) to another passenger on arrival and I never got it back nor was reimbursed."

"They attempted to offer to dismantle my $12000 us wheelchair to pass it through the airport scanner which I refused. And I insisted they follow the proper protocol which btw none of the airport staff or service staff knew it was aware of. In the 11 1/2 years of me traveling on a wheelchair I have never had this issue. And they had the audacity to make me go back on my chair to wheel to the plane and then transfer back to their chair a third time to get on plane," he said. Dr Singh later acknowledged that the Authority had contacted him and hoped that other disabled persons would not be met with the same treatment.

Caribbean Airlines Limited's policy states that passengers are welcome to use their own wheelchairs once they meet airline regulation requirements.

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Re: AATT rectifying disabled policy after wheelchair drama

Unread post by bimjim » Sun Nov 05, 2017

One thing you can rely on in the Caribbean is that nothing will change, no matter how bad it gets.

The passenger said it has happened THREE times before, yet here we are again.

AATT says they will review their procedures - and after that extremely exhausting exercise you may be assured they will go back to sleep.

And there may be loud "steuppsssing" involved. After all, someone interrupted their slumber, tea, discussion, gazing into space, or whetever they do on a daily basis.

Business as usual. Life in the tropics.

Return to “AATT - Airports Authority of Trinidad & Tobago”