Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

[Trinidad] Airports Authority chairman resigns

Unread post by bimjim » Sun Apr 26, 2015

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/-Ai ... 35531.html

[Trinidad] Airports Authority chairman resigns
denyse renne
Apr 25, 2015

Chairman of the Airports Authority of Trinidad and Tobago (AATT) Jason Julien has resigned from the board of directors. Julien, who was appointed to head the board in February 2014, submitted his resignation letter to Transport Minister Stephen Cadiz on Friday afternoon.

In his resignation letter dated April 24, Julien said he was thankful for the opportunity “to serve in the capacity as chairman of the Airports Authority of Trinidad and Tobago. My time as chairman was certainly very encouraging and has underscored my sincere belief in the great potential of the Authority to contribute to economic development and diversification.

"Unfortunately at this time, the competing demands of my most recent appointment as Deputy Chief Executive Officer, Banking Operations at First Citizens Bank require me to provide a greater focus and commitment towards my newly expanded responsibilities. Thus, I have decided that it is in the best interest of the Authority that I step down as chairman, and thus I offer my resignation.”

Efforts to contact Julien for a comment were unsuccessful.

As it stands now, the board comprises vice chairman Rajive Dipnarinesingh, board members Premchand Sahadeo, Rishi Mahadeo, Maria Gonsalves, Judith Baliram-Ramoutar, Colonel Lyle Alexander and Ruthven Goddard.

This is the third chairman to vacate the post in three years. Tourism Minister Gerald Hadeed resigned from the board in 2013. He was handed his instruments of appointment in January 2012. Following an accident, Hadeed was absent from several board meetings. He was accused of making decisions without consulting other board members. Several of the decisions were rescinded. The Sunday Express reported on this exclusively in June 2014, in a two-part series.

Hadeed was also involved in a disagreement with former minister of Transport Chandresh Sharma, whom he accused of undermining the board. Following Hadeed’s resignation, Trevor Benjamin headed the AATT board. He vacated the post in February 2014.

When the Sunday Express contacted Cadiz yesterday he confirmed Julien’s resignation. Cadiz dismissed information reaching the Sunday Express that Julien’s resignation came following talks that AATT security personnel would be given a pay increase and backpay. Sources told the Sunday Express, should the AATT proceed with this arrangement, they could find themselves in a financial bind and Julien had advised against this move. But Cadiz dismissed this, saying no decision had been made regarding the payments to AATT security.

Two weeks ago, in an interview with the Sunday Express, Julien was asked to comment regarding an alleged breach of Customs and Excise at the Piarco International Airport involving former minister Dr Glenn Ramadharsingh and his wife Arlene. The Ramadharsinghs had left the airport without presenting themselves to Customs.

Julien, when contacted two Thursdays ago said: “I was briefed only when you enquired. I asked of management what happened and management provided me with a verbal report about the incident on what transpired. Based on the report I received, it appears that he did not and it appears from the report he would have left the airport without going through Customs.”

Sources told the Sunday Express that a relative of Ramadharsingh, who is also a board member of the AATT, was displeased over Julien’s comments.

Return to “AATT - Airports Authority of Trinidad & Tobago”