Nicolas Hospedales, 01 January, 2014

Remembering those who have logged one more takeoff than landings.
bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Nicolas Hospedales, 01 January, 2014

Unread post by bimjim » Fri Jan 02, 2015

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/CAL ... 08081.html

[Trinidad] CAL pilot killed in road accident
Jan 1, 2015

A Caribbean Airlines pilot is the country’s first road fatality.

He has been identified as 38-year-old Santa Cruz resident Nicolas Hospedales.

Maracas/St Joseph police said around 12.05 p.m. yesterday, Hospedales was riding his black-and-red Honda CVR 600 motorcycle along the North Coast Road, close to Maracas Bay, when he lost control and collided with a black Honda Civic heading in the opposite direction.

Police said Hospedales was riding with several friends but at the time of the accident the other bikers had gone ahead of him.

The accident reportedly occurred in an area where road repair works were being done.

It is unclear if this contributed to accident.

Hospedales was rushed to hospital but was pronounced dead on arrival.

President of the Trinidad and Tobago Airline Pilots Association, Gerard Pinnard, confirmed that Hospedales was a first officer or co-pilot with Caribbean Airlines. He could not say how long he was employed with the airline.

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Re: [Final Flight] Nicolas Hospedales, 01 January, 2014

Unread post by bimjim » Sat Jan 03, 2015

http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,205029.html

Friends, family mourn dead CAL pilot
Saturday, January 3 2015

CARIBBEAN Airlines (CAL) pilot Nicolas Hospedales, who died in a motorcycle accident on the North Coast Road New Year’s Day, was remembered yesterday for his love of Carnival, bathing and liming at Maracas Bay and for being a very fun and funny guy.

Yesterday condolences poured in for Hospedales on his Facebook page. Friends spoke of his love for Carnival — his profile picture shows him with a friend during Carnival — and his love for Maracas as well. Many friends expressed shock at his death and noted that they were still coming to terms with the tragedy.

“RIP Nic. You flying on your own wings now,” one friend wrote. Hospedales was formerly a flight attendant and one of the women who trained with him back in 1999, described him as “really a fun loving guy and a really funny guy. Exceedingly funny”.

“He was very good with the passengers. Just a real humorous clown. Very fun loving. Always joy to be around,” she added. She noted when he became a flight attendant that group became “real riding partners”, and were really distraught following his death.

Trinidad and Tobago Airline Pilots (TTALPA) Association industrial relations consultant Gerard Pinard, speaking with Newsday in a telephone interview, said the association “express(es) our sincere condolences to Nicolas’ family and loved ones”. Hospedales was a first officer with the State-owned airline.

“We want for them to know that they have our prayers and our support at this difficult time,” said Pinard.

According to reports at about 12.05 pm on New Year’s Day Hospedales, 38 and hailing from Santa Cruz, was riding his Honda CVR 600 black and red motorbike together with other friends on their way to Maracas Beach. Hospedales had fallen behind and about 200 feet before the Bay View look out his motorbike reportedly skidded into the opposite lane and collided with an oncoming black Honda Civic. The bike was totally destroyed.

The lifeguard ambulance services rushed Hospedales to the Port-of-Spain General Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

The other driver, who made a report to the police, received no injuries. The Maracas Bay Police are continuing enquiries.

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Re: [Final Flight] Nicolas Hospedales, 01 January, 2014

Unread post by bimjim » Sat Jan 03, 2015

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2015-01- ... acas-crash

CAL pilot killed in Maracas crash
Saturday, January 3, 2015
    Nicholas Hospedales
A 38-year-old Caribbean Airlines Limited (CAL) pilot was killed in a car accident in Maracas on Thursday afternoon. He was the first road fatality for the year. According to reports, shortly after midday, Nicholas Hospedales, of Santa Cruz, was riding along North Coast Road with a group of fellow motorcycle enthusiasts.

Shortly before reaching Maracas Bay, Hospedales was attempting to manoeuvre a corner when his black and red motorcycle collided with a black Honda Civic driving in the opposite direction. Hospedales was thrown from the bike and landed at the side of the road. Besides the damage to his car, the driver of the car escaped without any injuries. Hospedales, who was employed as a first officer with CAL, was taken to the Port-of-Spain General Hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

There were 156 road fatalities recorded for last year. Detectives of the Maracas Bay Police Station are continuing investigations.

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

[Trinidad] CAL pilot first road fatality for 2015

Unread post by bimjim » Mon Jan 05, 2015

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Gre ... 74481.html

‘Great loss, shock to family’
[Trinidad] CAL pilot first road fatality for 2015
Michelle Loubon
Jan 5, 2015

Jerry Hospedales, adviser in the Ministry of Finance and the Economy, said the death of his nephew Nicolas Hospedales, a Caribbean Airlines pilot, was “a great loss and a shock to the family”.

On Friday, Hospedales attended a farewell service for his brother, Enrique Hospedales, at St John The Baptist Roman Catholic Church, San Juan, a day after the death of his nephew.

Nicolas Hospedales, 38, became the first road fatality of 2015 around 11.45 a.m. on Thursday, New Year’s Day. He was riding his black and red Honda CVR 600 motorcycle along North Coast Road, in the vicinity of Maracas Bay, when he lost control and collided with a black Honda Civic heading in the opposite direction.

Police said Hospedales was riding with friends, but at the time of the accident the other bikers had gone ahead of him.

His father, Wendell Hospedales, died in 2009 after a prolonged illness. Nicolas Hospedales is survived by his mother Nancy Hospedales, elder brother Horacio and younger sister Mariana, who is expected to fly in from Michigan, USA for the funeral.

In a telephone interview on Friday, Jerry Hospedales said: “It’s a substantial loss for the family, especially one week after Enrique Hospedales died. He (Nicolas) was a pilot who changed vocation mid-life. He was pursuing an engineering degree, but he could not pass the final subject, so during his year off, he became a flight attendant...he fell in love with flying and aviation. As his result, his parents sent him to pursue an aviation course.”

Hospedales added: “As a young man, he enjoyed life. He was on the board of San Juan Jabloteh Sports Club. He was a great member until flying took him away. We could have counted upon him for good board interventions. It was a loss to me personally when we lost him to aviation. He was a good member of the family. He was part of the brotherhood. It was unfortunate to lose him.”

Asked about his motorcycle, Hospedales said, “He had just bought the motorbike a couple of years ago. He loved the joy of being in the open air and doing all sorts of adventurous things. I had no objections to his bike because he loved life. He was a party animal. He was out with the group of nephews and he would get in an altercation. They would all come to his defence and they would laugh and talk about it afterwards.”

When he arrived at the family home on Friday, Hospedales said: “His mother is in no position to speak to the media. Since she heard about the incident, she has been inconsolable. She lost her husband and now to lose her son...it has hit her hard.”

On Thursday, when the tragic incident took place, his bike-riding buddy/flight attendant Justin Lee Loo said when he did not round the corner in the expected time, he had an “instinct something was wrong”.
Hospedales was among a party of four riders who frequent Maracas Beach, take a quick dip and sometimes enjoy a shark and bake. Lee Loo and Hospedales were friends for about ten years.

In a telephone interview on Friday, Lee Loo said, “I was there after the incident happened. We left on the road about 11.15 a.m. and the incident took place about 11.45 a.m. The only eyewitnesses were the people who were in the car. I was told the driver of the car, a woman, did not see anything. She came out of the vehicle and saw what was happening.”

Recounting the incident, Lee Loo said: “We waited at the beach. We knew he would be coming through the corners...we just assumed he was behind traffic. We waited. I went back after about two minutes. I said I would go back and see because he was taking too long. When I got to the scene I saw what had happened and alerted the others.

“Bikers stick together. If someone takes too long, it is strange. I went back and I saw what had happened about two minutes before. I had an instinct something was wrong. We know how long it takes for someone to come down on a bike. It doesn’t take long.”

Asked about his initial reaction, Lee Loo said: “I was shocked. I don’t want to really talk about it. It is not one I want to relive. Everyone was knowledgeable about the roadway. We frequented the Maracas Road. We would sometimes go on the weekends and during mid-week. With any incident like that, it is a painful set of emotions.”

On what could have caused the accident, he said, “I don’t know. The incident did not take place where the roadworks were happening.” Amidst the tragedy, Lee Loo said, “I remember him alive and kicking”.

Fellow CAL pilot Marcus Montano, brother of soca artiste Machel Montano, said, “I knew him a little. We never actually rode together, but I knew him from the ‘little boys’ club’. We would talk about upgrades (at CAL). When we were flying together, we would talk. We were more work colleagues. He was a hard worker. He was the life of the party when he was in the room. He was full of life and spirit. He loved life.”

Funeral arrangements for Nicolas Hospedales are yet to be made.

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

[Trinidad] Tears as CAL co-pilot laid to rest

Unread post by bimjim » Fri Jan 09, 2015

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Tea ... 94361.html

[Trinidad] Tears as CAL co-pilot laid to rest
Camille Hunte
Jan 8, 2015

Tears flowed freely yesterday as a packed church of mourners gathered to say goodbye to 38-year-old Caribbean Airlines co-pilot Nicolas Hospedales, who was killed in a vehicular accident on New Year’s Day.

Hospedales became the country’s first road fatality for 2015 when he lost control of his Honda CVR 600 motorcycle while riding with friends along the North Coast Road, near Maracas Bay, shortly after midday.

The motorcycle collided with a black Honda Civic heading in the opposite direction. Hospedales was thrown from the bike and landed at the side of the road. He was rushed to the Port of Spain General Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival. The driver of the Honda Civic escaped injury.

Scores of people turned out to the funeral service yesterday held at the Church of the Assumption, Maraval. In addition to Hospedales’ family and friends, his Caribbean Airlines co-workers came in their numbers to pay their respects.

His younger sister, who flew in from the United States, was also present. Many were teary eyed as family friend Christopher Barrow delivered the eulogy.

Hospedales was remembered as a dutiful son and a hard worker who was taken away too soon.

Barrow spoke through tears saying Hospedales was like a brother to him.

He fondly recalled Hospedales’ love for shark and bake and his friendly personality, saying Hospedales was a “family man”.

Father Garfield Rochard, who delivered the homily, lamented that Hospedales was taken in such a tragic manner in the midst of the celebratory Christmas season. He urged the mourners to have courage throughout their grief, saying it is always difficult to lose a loved one but “life goes on”.

Hospedales leaves behind his mother Nancy, brother Horatio, and sister Marianna. His mother was said to be taking her son’s death “very hard” after losing her husband in 2009 to a prolonged illness.

His body was taken to Belgroves Funeral Home in Tacarigua for cremation, following the funeral service.

Return to “Final flights...”