[Antigua] Peter Ramrattan - 20 January, 2012

Remembering those who have logged one more takeoff than landings.
bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

[Antigua] Peter Ramrattan - 20 January, 2012

Unread post by bimjim » Mon Jan 23, 2012

http://www.antiguaobserver.com/?p=70253

Peter Ramrattan dies
By Tameika Malone
Monday, January 23rd, 2012.

ST JOHN’S, Antigua

Regional Manager of the Rex Resort Group, Peter Ramrattan passed away on Friday in England.

Ramrattan was a well-known hotelier in the Caribbean and played an integral role in Antigua & Barbuda’s tourism sector.

He was the general manager (GM) of Hawksbill Hotel for many years and also served as GM of Rex Halcyon Cove. Ramrattan was also chairman of the Antigua Hotels and Tourist Association.

While on the Big Issues yesterday, the Cruise Tourism President Nathan Dundas paid respects to the late regional manager.

Dundas described Ramrattan’s death as a great loss for Antigua & Barbuda.

“He was a very passionate stakeholder in the tourism business in Antigua and I recall just last week he was calling in on radio programmes regarding tourism. I recall many times that he would even call me personally … I want to express condolences to his family,” Dundas said.

After leaving the now defunct British West Indies Airways (now Caribbean Airlines), Ramrattan was employed by Kuoni at the Hawksbill Hotel which he managed for many years.

Paying tribute to a close friend, David Fernandez of the USA said he was a “very close and dear friend and we were in touch up to about a week before his passing.”

“He played an integral part in Antigua & Barbuda’s tourism including Chairman of the Hotel and Tourist Association and Antigua Sailing Week. After retiring from Kuoni he was employed by the Rex Resorts which marketed three properties on Antigua; Rex Halcyon, Blue Heron and Hawksbill,” Fernandez said.

“Peter was very knowledgeable about the tourism industry and used his marketing skills to promote his hotels as well as Antigua & Barbuda.”

Ramrattan was born in Trinidad but spent most of his adult life in Antigua as a navy cadet.

Return to “Final flights...”