Helen and the Keys

Your descriptions of how things were, of how things are, of outstanding people, places or major events that touched your life... For the enlightenment of current and future pilots - and please keep your posts POSITIVE.
islandflyer
Engineer 4
Engineer 4

Helen and the Keys

Unread post by islandflyer » Sun Jan 14, 2007

Once again, my hormones were into overdrive. That, and the fact that I had a few dollars to burn and a cold front was going through, so there I was planning a cross country flight from Daytona Beach to Marathon in the Keys. A long flight, to be sure, but who would pass up the opportunity to be in a tiny space with a hot chick?

Seems that Joanne (trini gal with a wonderful chest– don’t remember her last name, tho’) had her sister Helen in town (another trini fox), and while the other guys had the smooth talk and slick moves, I had an old BMW (purple, and it smoked like a demon, but never mind) and a Pilots Licence. So early that morning (and it was a cold one), Helen and I were on the flight line preflighting my trusty steed for the day. Yes, another lowly 172, but 99260 was my favourite. The interior was really nice, all the instruments worked, and the paint was not peeling. I set up my stereo (sans speakers) behind the seats along with my intercom, so we could talk and listen to music. Techno-savvy!

7:44 a.m. Takeoff from DAB heading southwest, overhead ORL at 7500 in higher than expected headwinds, passed Disney and Kissimmee (yes, it’s a real place), then descending into Tampa International. Didn’t bounce too badly, still trying to impress the girl, remember? Sought out the FBO, I think it was Million Air on the south-east corner. Gee, even I was impressed! A marshaller was out to guide me under the canopy, while another guy waited with a little red carpet to put by the door as we cut the engine. Wow.

Quick flight plan and weather check and off we go again, with random music humming though the headset. I took a chance and requested higher, as high as we could, so we settled at (amazingly) 10,500 for the long trek to MTH. Helen drifted off and I consoled myself to watching her sleep (guess what I was watching!) and the absolute beauty of the Florida coastline. Sarasota/Bradenton, Venice, Punta Gorda, Fort Mayers, Naples. Passed a few others at lower altitudes, then launched out over the “expanse” between the Everglades and Marathon.

Flight Watch was reporting that the cold front had stalled over the upper Keys, so I was expecting a bit of weather on arrival. I started a very shallow descent while beyond visual range, and only woke my sleeping beauty when we had the island in sight. Problem was a waterspout (basically a tornado over the sea) was spotted just south of the airport, which was now reporting ¼ mile vis in rain. What’s a guy to do? Do the approach, of course! Helen was not impressed while I battled this tin can, but we made it down in one piece, and walked across the street to KFC for lunch (arrival – 12:56) while the FBO gassed me up.

Two hours later we were gone again for the long haul direct back to DAB – I think she slept again (hmm), this time up the east coast via TMB, FXE, VRB, MLB and down into Daytona, arriving at 5:28 p.m. All in all I was very chuffed at the flight, except that we didn’t pack enough music for the tape player, and we didn’t have enough snacks. Other than that I loved watching Helen sleep (chest rising and falling), and I was racking up time.

Date: 6 November 1988
Aircraft: Cessna 172
Routing: DAB-TPA-MTH-DAB
7.1 total time

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew » Sun Jan 14, 2007

Dude ! You should have been looking at your instruments not some Gal's chest when you flying ! :lol:

EltonR
Unranked
Unranked

nice one

Unread post by EltonR » Sun Jan 14, 2007

lol true true, u should be looking at the instruments. Why arent there more posts in this forum?? Its nice to hear some of the experiences, especially for a high school kid like me aspiring to become a pilot. Keep em coming islandflyer...
The only place that success comes before work is in the dictionary.

chückie
.First Officer
.First Officer

Unread post by chückie » Mon Jan 15, 2007

Reminds me of one of my trips from MLB to Key West, except I didn't have such pretty scenery in my right seat!! Keep um coming indeed!

And, I wouldn't be Bajan if I didn't ask.....what happened with Helen?! :P

islandflyer
Engineer 4
Engineer 4

Unread post by islandflyer » Mon Jan 15, 2007

Nothing with me, that's fer dang sure :cry: :D

islandflyer
Engineer 4
Engineer 4

Unread post by islandflyer » Mon Jan 15, 2007

It was a few years ago, but I think I was at 10,5 for a little over an hour - that leg to MTH was 2.7 hrs total time. I believe her falling asleep was because 1) she was tired from the night before - she was a trini gal after all, how many of them do YOU know that get an early nights sleep, and 2) there was absolutely nothinhg to do.

I remember an issue where an ERAU student was buzzing his girlfriends home somewhere north of Daytona, doing some tight turns (maybe in excess of 60 deg) when he lost altitude trying to look out at her and pancaked into the side of another house. So I don't try too hard to impress. Remember, aviation is as unforgiving as the sea...

chückie
.First Officer
.First Officer

Unread post by chückie » Mon Jan 15, 2007

Negative Inbound.

It's only recommended above 10,000; required above 12,500 in excess of 30 minutes; required above 14,000 for the entire time for the crew, and required above 15,000 for everyone.

Chaa Islandflyer...not even a peck onthe cheek. Caddear b!

Return to “Living Histories”