[Job tip] Recruiters Don't Have Time for This.

Something opening soon at your airline - or otherwise that you know of? Please post it here!!
bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Unread post by bimjim » Wed Feb 01, 2017

January 27, 2017
Lindsay Mustain, SPHR, SHRM-SCP

I am fortunate enough to be the most viewed profile of anyone that works at my organization. I'm proud of this accomplishment and also feel humbled by the responsibility it means. I get the chance to network with many great people with varied experiences, many of whom I connect with on LinkedIn. It also means that I have more messages than I have time to review. With this in mind, here are some tips that will help make sure your message stands out above the rest for the right reason. 80% of the messages I receive include more than one of the pitfalls I have listed below.

1. Lack of Punctuation and Grammar – My favorite InMail today started with this opener: "hi hws yuh doing?" Consider this platform an extension of your resume or cover letter. If you cannot spell or put together a coherent sentence, no one will bother to read it. This is a professional networking site, so I also recommend you use full words (e.g. you vs. u, your vs. ur). Use the same level of professionalism you display at work.

2. You Got the Recruiter’s Name Wrong – If you want a response from the recruiter, it would be best if you spelled their name correctly. Today I have seen messages addressed to Hannah and Amy; my name is Lindsay. I still respond to these messages, but others may not. Some of these are auto correct or honest typos; you can take steps to correct the mistake.

3. You Sent a Form Message – Put your best foot forward. Spend time putting together an individualized note to your recruiter. Recruiters should also do the same when reaching out as well.

4. Copying Other Recruiters – reach out individually. Just like I spend time crafting messages, I only send it to a single individual. At first glance this approach looks like spam, so I do not recommend it.

5. You Told the Recruiter to “Look at my profile.” This is probably the second most common pitfall. Help pique my interest. Visit this link http://lifehacker.com/tips-from-a-recru ... 1520083351 to get an idea of how you can write a personalized note about your experience and why you are reaching out to me. Please tell me about what you bring to the table and why you are a great candidate. Include your resume in the body of the message. This kind of summary will create the desire to have the recruiter look at your profile.

6. "Do you have any jobs?" or "Do you have any __ jobs in (location)?" This is the big one. I get this question about 40 times a day. I even created my own FAQ to direct candidates to the careers site. I don't have visibility to all the open jobs at my organization; I only recruit for a small sub section for HR professionals in Seattle. If I wanted to know if there was a job open in a specific location or for a specific role, I would also go to my career site. Your best bet is to visit the career site before sending this question.

An InMail can be an effective tool to get your recruiter's attention. The key is to customize your message, write it to your specific audience (or recruiter), and ask for assistance in a humble manner. You'll see greater returns on your job search if you use this strategy.

Return to “Job tips - all aviation positions”