Delta and Virgin execs feisty when discussing BA

News about this airline - please include a link to the source as well as the article text itself.
bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Unread post by bimjim » Wed Dec 12, 2012

http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-News ... ussing-BA/

Kate Rice
December 11, 2012

Virgin Atlantic Airways has long been playing David to British Airways’ Goliath, establishing itself as one of the “scrappiest competitors in the marketplace,” said Richard Anderson, Delta’s CEO and president.

And the tone of the press conference in New York announcing the proposed joint venture between Delta and Virgin Atlantic showed that there now could be two Richards — Anderson and Branson, Virgin Atlantic’s founder and president — with a zest for verbal dueling with British Airways CEO Willie Walsh.

Branson said via video link that he is looking forward to working with Anderson in giving “the rest of the industry a true run for its money.”

And Anderson, when asked what he thought of Walsh’s contention that Delta would retire the Virgin brand, first said a firm “no,” and then came back to add more.

“That actually gets my blood to boil a little bit,” he said. “The whole purpose is to join the brands together. The brand of Virgin Atlantic is the centerpiece of the investment."

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Re: Delta and Virgin execs feisty when discussing BA

Wankin' Willie lost BIG against Virgin already in a UK lawsuit... I guess he's looking for a re-match. Maybe he can lose another hundred milliion or so to Virgin again.

dashman
Unranked
Unranked

Unread post by dashman » Wed Dec 12, 2012

You mean "David" went up against a proverbial Goliath (bully) airline and actually won?????

Pity Redjet didn`t have a bigger slingshot..........
" THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES"

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Sure. Years ago Virgin sued BA for dirty tactics and unfair competition, and won - big time.

And it's just my opinion, but REDjet was so full of well-paid ex-pat "professionals" they never had a chance in this Caribbean market. Somebody ought to tell those Harvard (and other) MBAs that when they try to lay their quickie developed-counrtry business templates on a business in an un-developed or under-developed country it doesn't work so well !!

I know of several qualified regionals and locals who applied for management positions, but they all got turned down (or just ignored, like I hear most applicants to REDjet were).

(I don't know whey they spend four years at that MBA thing, they could easily do a three-day course learning how to use the templates and move on with their sheet of paper. I guess they need almost four more years to par-tay !! Well, what the heck, Dubya did it, why should everybody else miss out ?)

I'm sure all those professional folks they hired at REDjet knew how to run an airline in the US, Canada or the UK, but in the Caribbean the people and politicians play by different rules. If they had hired at least half locals as managers and executives they would probably still be in business now.

As it is, in just one of the blunders they took one "authority"'s word on a critical aspect of doing business regionally and from there ran straight into the side of a granite cliff. No local sitting at the REDjet head table would have allowed that particular adventure to go ahead without a strong word of warning about what they were planning to do.

Another blunder - taking major public heat day after day in and out of the Press about their dishonesty with fares, and never changing their advertising. By all means get people's attention with a $9.99 kick-off campaign, but that kind of publicity MUST change to a more understandable format, and the sooner the better. But when they closed they were still advertising $9.99 fares... how dumb is that?

How much would it have cost them to explain to people that the first x seats booked on a flight were $9.99 - so the further ahead they booked, the lower the price - but after that the price rose depending on destination, seat selection, day of week and other factors? Most West Indians were enraged when they went to book their trip and found out the flight was anything BUT $9.99.

dashman
Unranked
Unranked

Unread post by dashman » Wed Dec 12, 2012

"I'm sure all those professional folks they hired at REDjet knew how to run an airline in the US, Canada or the UK, but in the Caribbean the people and politicians play by different rules. If they had hired at least half locals as managers and executives they would probably still be in business now."

I think that sums it up quite well.

In addition thinking, or being deceived into thinking that they had Gov`t backing, whether politically or otherwise, only to realize when the time came it was just alota mout!!!
" THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES"

Return to “Virgin Atlantic - UK”