Problems with FS

FS and all the paraphenalia that goes with that habit...
islandflyer
Engineer 4
Engineer 4

Problems with FS

Unread post by islandflyer » Tue Sep 15, 2009

Confession: I installed a copy of a program from someone I know and now FS won't open. OK, I've said it. You can condemn me to early CPU failure, you can say I belong in FS pergatory for my sin, and curse my harddrive that it goes floppy, etc, etc. Fine.

In the meantime, I installed a copy of LAGO Maddog MD80 v1.51, and now FS has a fault. I was told that the registry application for the LAGO is the culprit. I want to restore FS to use without having to dump and reinstall, because I have too many things in there - multiple really great sceneries (49, I counted) both payware and free that I may not be able to find again, the 50N 735, PMDG 737's and 747, CLS DC-10, Wilco Airbus #1 pack, AES for the scenery, ActiveSky, blah blah blah.

I would welcome any tips. I would not welcome the 'I told you so' comments - I get tthat from my wife, I don't need it from you lot as well :)

kroswynd
.First Officer
.First Officer

Re: Problems with FS

Unread post by kroswynd » Tue Sep 15, 2009

IslandFlyer,
islandflyer wrote:I would welcome any tips. I would not welcome the 'I told you so' comments - I get tthat from my wife, I don't need it from you lot as well :)
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Hopefully it is not a virus that you picked up which is messing with your registry settings. I know that this can be rather frustrating. The good this is that your hard drive is still working, that is where it becomes a Bitch

1. 1st things 1st, let's un-install the software package, which I am sure you have already done.

2. Go to Flight 1 and download the repair registry utility http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library (this may not fix the cause, but it does not hurt to try).

3. Delete your FS9.cfg configuration file and then restart FS9, be sure to save any pertinent modifications that you added to your FS9.cfg so that you can add them after re-loading FS9

4. There is a little utility called CCleaner "www.ccleaner.com" which I would suggest downloading and run the registry function, be sure that you do this after un-installing the Lago software. This little tool is also good for remove temp internet files, items from within the trash bin, and this will also clean the temp and prefetch folders. Here is a link to it http://www.filehippo.com/download_cclea ... 303626f67/

5. I am not one that is big on messing with the registry....but you can go into "regedit" and under the software key try and locate anything that is related to the Lago software that you installed. i would advise that you do some internet research on issue regarding the registry. or you can also check to see if anyone else has had problems similar to what you are experiencing.

These are a few tips that come to mind. Before taking the big plunge to RE-INSTALL FS9. If you need help on using CCleaner let me know. Also be sure to run a through virus scan of your machine, and as always be sure to de-frag.

Regards
SIMEON "KROSWYND/KILO_WHISKEY" RICHARDSON

Stunna
Unranked
Unranked

Unread post by Stunna » Wed Sep 16, 2009

Lago MD-80, yuck! Maddog 2008 Professional all the way! Its probably the most realistic plane ever made for flight sim.

islandflyer
Engineer 4
Engineer 4

Unread post by islandflyer » Wed Sep 16, 2009

kroswynd:
1. Uninstall - done
2. repair registry - downloaded, but i don't think it did anything. Maybe I was expecting a pop-up window with flashing status bars or % complete or something...it just asked to open under a new file name
3. where is the fs9.cfg file? There isn't one in the main directory, unless you mean the entire config folder? That makes me nervous, but I guess I can always restore from the Trash.
4. CCleaner - done. It deleted(?) alot of stuff remaining from missing applications

And the result is.... nada.

My problem was I was greedy. I really didn't NEED the MD in the aircraft hanger.

Oh well (sigh) - time to DUMP :cry:

islandflyer
Engineer 4
Engineer 4

Unread post by islandflyer » Wed Sep 16, 2009

Hey, wait a minute!!

If I uninstall FS9, won't it leave behind all of the added folders that were not part of FS9? In other words, all of my aircraft and sceneries will still be in their respective places, so that when I reinstall FS9, I would just have to add them to the scenery library all over again.

Thoughts??

kroswynd
.First Officer
.First Officer

Unread post by kroswynd » Wed Sep 16, 2009

Islandflyer,

It sound like a corrupt file somewhere within FS9. Be sure to look in your modules folder as well to see if anything has been left back from that Mdog program, also make sure that you have an update FSUIPC. Using the original CDs try and perform a repair if that option does exist. If not backup your important files copy your addon scenery folder to a safe place along with your aircraft, gauges, modules folders. I am going to assume that you have the originals for most of your payware, if not you can acquire they downloads and keys from the developers/publishers website.

Good luck in you endeavors
islandflyer wrote:kroswynd:
3. where is the fs9.cfg file? There isn't one in the main directory, unless you mean the entire config folder? That makes me nervous, but I guess I can always restore from the Trash.
The FS9.cfg is located in the illustration below

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Unread post by bimjim » Wed Sep 16, 2009

A few things I would also do before messing with the registry - and this from a programmer who has a better idea of what I am doing in there!

1. Start by assuming the C drive will be wiped clean - with a full low-level drive format (all binary zeroes written and data not retrievable) - and a full re-install of your Windoze OS.

I'm not telling you to do a low-level format, just saying you should behave as though this will happen.

2. Back up the files you want to keep (libraries, aircraft, scenery, notes, letters, anything of permanent value), in folder form on external media. In other words. put the root folder of some other media - external HD, CD, DVD, floppy, whatever - side by side with your working drive's folder and simply drag and drop the important folders on to the removeable media.

And then remove it. You won't be disappointed or sorry - nor will you lose anything!!

3. Before you play with the registry, try the Windoze way: removing and re-installing all of the applications from the Control Panel Add/Remove Software utility - and after each removal or install, reboot the computer. That forces Windoze to do a clean-up of the system files and be ready for the next changes. This is time-consuming, but if you watch any tech working on a computer you will see this happening - and that is the reason. He/she is letting Windoze do it's house-cleaning.

4. Of course, then install the programs in logical order... only you will know what I mean, because I am not heavily into gaming. But there is always a logical sequence of installs when you use a base program with several add-ons.

If you have any questions about this, ask The Master kroswynd!!

islandflyer
Engineer 4
Engineer 4

Unread post by islandflyer » Thu Sep 17, 2009

OK, I won't lie - this is relatively confusing, but I'm willing to make a go at it. Time is somewhat of an issue, so if you don't hear from me in several days, don't panic.

Besides, I'm told I spend too much time on FS and YouTube anyway... but I bought her a flower, so doen't that count? :D :D

islandflyer
Engineer 4
Engineer 4

Unread post by islandflyer » Sun Sep 20, 2009

Curious thing happened... just out of the blue I decided to open FS9 at an airport that I don't have an add-on scenery, like TTPP or TBPB... and it opened ok! I also changed aircraft - CLS, PMDG, Posky - all are fine. But if I changed airports to one with scenery, like KBOS or KJFK, it was a no-go.

Any ideas?

kroswynd
.First Officer
.First Officer

Unread post by kroswynd » Tue Sep 22, 2009

islandflyer wrote:Curious thing happened... just out of the blue I decided to open FS9 at an airport that I don't have an add-on scenery, like TTPP or TBPB... and it opened ok! I also changed aircraft - CLS, PMDG, Posky - all are fine. But if I changed airports to one with scenery, like KBOS or KJFK, it was a no-go.

Any ideas?
Well it sounds like you "may" have a corrupted file. You can play around with the sceneries first.
Here are a few steps to try and trouble shoot possible scenery problems.

1. There is a utility called SCANAFD which can be downloaded from the following link: http://www.nwlink.com/~erog/
What this will do is scan for any duplicate afcad files which can/do cause FS9 and FSX CTDs or other strange anomalies. Be careful that you do not delete some of the active afcads which may appear as duplicates but are actually not. This can be seen in some of FlyTampa and Flight Scenery's scenery.

2. I would disable the add-on sceneries in FS9 (this is done by going into the Scenery Library and disabling/deleting). I would strongly suggest that you re-install all of your add-on scenery after deleting them. If the sceneries are not automatically re-instated then you will have to do so manually via FS2004 or use this utility I am going to introduce you to next.

http://www.mstrain.org/fs2000/addons/scm2004.zip
The link above is to a very useful utility know as SCM2004 which renumbers all of you scenery files within the scenery.cfg for FS2004.
a. Once you have ensure that you have activated all of the sceneries in FS2004 click on the re-number button at least twice.
b. Once you have verified that all the sceneries are sequentially numbered click on the save button.
c. Now fire up FS2004 and let's see if that may have been the problem.

If I have confused you let me know. I did this while I was in the office so I am not able to reference the software while typing the instructions.

Regards

islandflyer
Engineer 4
Engineer 4

Unread post by islandflyer » Tue Sep 22, 2009

Is it really possible to get a corrupted scenery file (afcad) when installing a new aircraft? Remember, it was a LAGO product that started all this...

kroswynd
.First Officer
.First Officer

Unread post by kroswynd » Wed Sep 23, 2009

islandflyer wrote:Is it really possible to get a corrupted scenery file (afcad) when installing a new aircraft? Remember, it was a LAGO product that started all this...
Well it is not really a corrupted afcad that comes to mind (and no I have never seen a corrupted one) however, it is possible that there may be duplicate that causes problems. The reason that I have asked you to visit your scenery was mainly because of the situation you described in your previous post. Unfortunately that is the downside to trouble shooting. If it is not a problem that has been encountered before, it becomes a matter of trial and error before finding the problem at time.

Just remember to back everything up before deleting anything. Be sure to run the Sim after the un-install and see if everything appears to be normal, then add one scenery at a time testing each one after the re-installation.

Regards

islandflyer
Engineer 4
Engineer 4

Unread post by islandflyer » Wed Sep 23, 2009

Thanks, Mr. Kros Wynd. I've disabled all sceneries thru the Scenery menu, and will add them again one at a time. I propose to test them by doing a touch and go at each one, maybe taking a screenshot of my efforts. If they are any good, I'll post a few!

Cheers!

kroswynd
.First Officer
.First Officer

Unread post by kroswynd » Sat Sep 26, 2009

Sounds good. Keep me posted.

Regards

islandflyer
Engineer 4
Engineer 4

Unread post by islandflyer » Mon Sep 28, 2009

OK, I nay have isolated the problem as my AES program - all of my sceneries are in and those that I've checked (both AES and non-AES airports) are showing ok, but when I had AES activated, the FS would shut down within 3 miles of touchdown.

kroswynd
.First Officer
.First Officer

Unread post by kroswynd » Wed Sep 30, 2009

Interesting. I have never used AES, but I would suggest un-installing it and re-installing it if you have not already done so. Let's know the outcome.

Return to “Flight Stimulator - General Discussion”