IG to audit FAA oversight of American Airlines, Allegiant

News about this airline - please include a link to the source as well as the article text itself.
bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

IG to audit FAA oversight of American Airlines, Allegiant

Unread post by bimjim » Sat May 12, 2018

https://news.aviation-safety.net/2018/0 ... giant-air/

Office of Inspector General to audit FAA’s maintenance oversight of American Airlines, Allegiant
10 May 2018

The U.S. Office of Inspector General stated that it will investigate the FAA’s maintenance oversight of American Airlines and Allegiant.

In June 2017, the Department of Transportation’s Office of Inspector General announced a review of the Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA) oversight of air carrier maintenance.

Based on their initial audit work and additional congressional requests, it was decided to adjust the scope of this audit. OIG states that the objectives now are to assess FAA’s processes for investigating allegations of improper maintenance practices at two carriers, Allegiant Air and American Airlines. Specifically, to (1) examine FAA’s independent reviews, complaints to the FAA hotline, and other sources to see whether inspectors conducting routine surveillance of Allegiant and American Airlines found similar discrepancies and (2) determine whether FAA ensures that Allegiant and American Airlines implement effective corrective actions to address the root causes of maintenance problems.

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Re: IG to audit FAA oversight of American Airlines, Allegian

Unread post by bimjim » Sat May 12, 2018

Remember a full DC-10 that took off from Chicago and the engine broke off, forcing it to crash into a neighbouhood nose-first, INVERTED? Well, THAT was also American Airlines, and THAT was due to improper maintenance, that time using a forklift to speed up detaching and attaching engines.

It wasn't a faulty aircraft, it was the airline which caused the crash.

Accountants as managers don't seem to ever learn anything, do they?

Here's the extract from Wikipedia...

"American Airlines Flight 191
  • The DC-10 was involved in another deadly crash on May 25, 1979, when American Airlines Flight 191, departing Chicago's O'Hare Airport, went out of control immediately after takeoff.

As the airliner rotated during its takeoff roll, the number one (left wing) engine and pylon assembly separated from and swung upward over the top of the wing, severing critical hydraulic lines embedded in the wing's leading edge, as well as tearing away part of the wing structure. The loss of hydraulic pressure to the leading edge slat actuators caused the slats to retract due to aerodynamic forces, increasing the left wing's stall speed above the engine failure climb out speed being used by the pilots.

With the left wing stalled and further destabilized by asymmetric thrust, the DC-10 rapidly rolled to the left, sharply descended and crashed, killing all 271 people on board and two individuals on the ground.

The loss of Flight 191 remains the deadliest aviation accident in U.S. history. The crash and its aftermath were widely covered by the media and dealt a severe blow to the DC-10's reputation and sales, which never fully recovered."

islandflyer
Engineer 4
Engineer 4

Unread post by islandflyer » Sun May 13, 2018

But the O'Hare accident with AA is reaching back rather far - what happened at American recently that would cause this sort of oversight review?

(I totally understand about Allegiant; that is (I hate to say it) an accident looking for a place to happen)

bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Unread post by bimjim » Sun May 13, 2018

An airline the size of AA has the resources - and the procedures - to be able to do things right (if they really want to). My remark was that they "fixed" the problem until they thought nobody was watching and then reverted to "normal" - cost cutting. AA is run by accountants, and saving money is far more important to those folks that a few hundred lives (I would imagine they think that's what insurance is for).

For instance, initially AA did not use bare metal as a fashion statement, they stripped paint because a coating would cost a fraction of a cent per thousand miles to carry around, as well as cause some drag - OMG, there goes another fraction of a cent!!!

I know AA employees in the US, and they spend their entire career in fear of being laid off or furloughed with zero notice - to the point of being afraid to go on days off and vacation. I'm not saying that AA is pure evil, I am saying that those folks running the airline will try to get away with anything that saves a few pennies. Cutting corners works in warehousing and fast food, but it is deadly in airlines.

islandflyer
Engineer 4
Engineer 4

Unread post by islandflyer » Tue May 15, 2018

No, I get it about AA's cost cutting - been going on for decades. It's just that the FAA announcement sounded like it was coming on the heels of some sort of discovery or incident at American that is akin to the Allegiant fiasco.

Return to “American Airlines - USA”