Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Captain Blackburn Resigns as LIALPA Chairman

Unread post by bimjim » Fri Dec 23, 2011

http://antiguachronicle.net/index.php?o ... a-chairman

Captain Blackburn Resigns as LIALPA Chairman
Thursday, 22 December 2011
      Captain Michael Blackburn
Captain Michael Blackburn has resigned as head of the Leeward Islands Airline Pilots Association (LIALPA) as he assembles a team of lawyers to lead the battle against his former employer LIAT. The resignation takes effect from midnight on Thursday December 22, 2011.

Blackburn's dismissal has created further industrial tension at the already embattled Leeward Island Air Transport (LIAT) as it moves forward with plans to downsize its staff body. And he has been the subject of strike action recently that cost the company and estimated $2 million.

The former LIALPA head head he has sat and waited long enough and the time for action has arrived.

"I am going to start legal action very soon. So it would not be ethical for me to remain in that position. I have no choice but to resign..." Blackburn said as he explained his decision.

He noted that the legal team is being assembled and will commence action within the first week of 2012.

LIALPA has some three months to find a replacement for Blackburn, who believes that the pilots will do so and the Association will effectively operate without him.

Antigua Chronicle will continue to bring details of this story as it develops.

Return to “LIALPA - Pilots”